Friday 1 May 2020

Me Made May 2020

Day one of me made May and it was harder than I thought to get started as I stared into my wardrobe wondering what to wear.  The problem being the weather, the reason that is a problem is that we are at that funny in between stage here in the UK where some days it is warm and other really cold.  I had decided that during the month of May I will try to wear something different each day rather than reaching for the trusty jeans and a handmade top whenever I am home.  The thing is I make a lot of dresses and today is not a bare leg day! Especially when out dog walking, so I was pondering the clothes in the wardrobe and thinking what days I am at work, what if it rains and so on.  I know I am over thinking it but I thought as this is the first year I have done this I will make a good effort, my wardrobe is packed with handmade clothes but I do favour the summer months.

So today I have opted for my grey jersey t-shirt, self drafted pattern with a ruched v neck (made quite recently) with a skirt I made a few years ago also own pattern but this time using the Sew What Skirts book.  I have mentioned this book before as it is fabulous and have used this for a few of my skirts.

Here I am wearing this with tights but due to the length of this skirt I prefer to wear this one with tights anyway.   It is a lined skirt and as it is fitted and made from cotton I do tend to get a crease across the front when I have been sat, small problem as creases are mainly unavoidable.  The sun was out earlier but it has now gone in so I have grabbed a hoody now (not handmade but years old!) to wear over my t shirt while out dog walking.

From the book I used instructions for straight skirt with fitted waist, added darts and belt loops.  As I have had this a number of years now I tend to be able to do it without the book, make my own modifications, darts and details etc.  If you haven't heard of it, it is well  worth a look.


Yesterday I made another bag, I tend to have a little run of making these when I am home.  This time I made my own patchwork design on both sides of the bag so this one took quite some time to complete. You can see my shop here


There has been more baking and my son asked me the other day why I was making more when the last cake hadn't been finished (er... I have lots of time;) well it didn't matter as it was all gone pretty quick.  I made the recipe for  gf vegan ricotta cake but I didn't have the correct size tin so I just used fairy cake cases and that worked out fine, I think they would have risen more with more space but my mixture was pretty much up to the top.  Still they were light and fluffy which is not always easy with GF vegan baking. 
We have already been at them here as I made twelve, so yes another good little cake recipe from Vegan and Gluten- Free Baking. I think I only paid five pound for that book a few years ago and everything I have made has come out well. 

That is all for today, on the days my clothes are made from patterns I will of course include the details but I have quite a few items where I have just made my own patterns.  I think I have used more patterns since posting for Minerva as people need to have something to work from if they want to recreate what you are showing.

Take care. 



5 comments:

  1. I am always in awe of your sewing skill. The bag is amazing, so unusual. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, you are a busy sewer! Do you make your bags from scratch or are you repurposing a bag and adding fabric and bits? They do look lovely and I'm off to have a quick peek at your Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do make them from scratch I have repurposed d rings and zips before but have currently run out of metal wear so I have had to buy some. I try to use as much recycled fabric as I can but some of them contain all new fabric but I may just have some recycled fabric to make the lining and so on. I tell friends if you are throwing out a bag because it's ruined cut the d rings off first! My early bags were all recycled denim them my mother in law gave me an offcut when I covered the side of her sofa in faux leather. I made bags with that and I liked it so I got my hands on some more. x

      Delete
  3. I love that you bags are all made from scraps that you have held on to and repurposed. I also love the idea of wearing clothes you have made for month although I don't have many at the moment so it might be better for me to do that in a when I have a few more items!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have enough handmade clothes to wear for the month as nearly all of them are. My trouble seems to be reaching for the trusty jeans and wearing the same things when I am home. I am using this as a motivator to wear more variety. You can still join in just post what you do have. x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...