Thursday 14 May 2020

Comfortable Sewing

As dressmakers we often make things for best, or at least I do and that is something I have done over the years but have been trying to remedy in more recent years.  When I first began making my own clothes at sixteen the focus was always on an outfit for a Friday night out and not having much money being able to flick through  the catalogue and copy expensive dresses was such a thrill. Handmade and sew your own clothes was not such a movement back then so I was something of a novelty among my friends.   As  I got older and moved out I  no longer went out as often but I still used to save clothes for best and that was a bit of a waste.  This month is at the very least pushing me to wear all my clothes that I spend time on rather than wearing the same things. I have even adopted the system of turning the coat hanger the other way when I have worn something so I can try and wear something different each day.  It will be a test as some things are for the winter and I won't be wearing those clothes so it will be interesting to see if I can make it through without duplicating.

Now at first I thought I may be a little dressed up for around the house but now I think why not? Why is it ok to get dressed up to go out but not when you are at home with the people you love the most. So there, hopefully this will inspire me to wear what I want whenever I want in future.

Today I am wearing for me made May 2020 day14 my first mock jumpsuit, the fabric only cost about £6 in total for two metres and it is a cotton challis.  It was self drafted and to be honest the trousers  are a little low slung now I know I have a bit of this left somewhere so I could probably remedy that by putting a v shaped yoke in the top.  I will give that some thought  because I have worn it all day for gardening and dog walking and it is super comfy.  That is probably a good reason to solve the only issue with it to make it perfect.


The trousers are flat at the front with an elasticated back panel and belt loops, there is also a tie belt (I do love a tie belt).  The top was just cut from an existing vest top and faced with bias binding.  I am still wearing it, it's like wearing pyjamas but a bit smarter.

 Here I am contemplating my trainers.

I have spent quite a bit of time outside again moving on plants and we even tried our local nursery as I need compost and grow bags but it was packed with a very long queue so we took one look and drove away.  Maybe I will try again tomorrow, here are a few little plants out in the beds. They don't look much now but if they are like last years they will quickly fill out. 
Four little ones in there.

Five plus in this one as they were close together in the pots I planted them in and I didn't want to disrupt the roots so we will have to see how they fight for space.  There is certainly room for them to spread out.
I moved this pot that I planted up onto the wall and I am now hoping it doesn't blow off.

No making to  show for the day today as I have been doing other things, I always feel a bit like something is missing if I haven't sewn something.  Anyway I am going to say bye for now as it is nearly time to go outside and clap, back soon. 



2 comments:

  1. I so agree with the getting dressed up to go out sentiment. When I was growing up we ALWAYS got dressed up to go out. We had home clothes and going out clothes and never shall the two cross over!!! When I had kids it was the same and they always changed at least into a better shirt or nicer dress.
    Now however, I'm thinking that maybe it doesn't matter if I wear some nicer things at home. I'm home most of the time (even more so right now) so maybe I ought to just use them? Trouble is that we always live in the country and I dig gardens, paint fences, smear oil and other dirty things!! I've come to the conclusion that I need to make use of the going out clothes that I dont love anymore, at home! So I can look sort of dressy!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit you are making me think about clothes and why we do have house clothes and going out clothes. I love the idea of looking nice all the time not sure about the practicalities but worth pondering.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...