Friday 8 May 2020

Another Joni Dress

Yesterday I made up my new fabric and opted not to go for my skater dress but make another Joni dress from the Tilly Stretch book.  The last one worked out so well and looks very dressy, due to lockdown I have had no opportunity to wear it yet.  This new fabric is fun and summery so will be more of a casual dress so making a Joni in this seemed like a good fit.  Now when I bought the fabric I only bought a metre, the dress pattern requires more so I have had to modify the skirt.  It is not a full floaty skirt on this version as I ran the sides of the pattern down to make it fit a metre of fabric I will show the pieces further down.  For now here it is on me, made May day 8 and we had lovely warm weather today to wear it.


So as you can see the skirt is nowhere near as full as it should be but as a casual dress it is probably a good thing.


You can see the colours and the detail on the dress better here on the mannequin. I particularly like the cross over detail on this dress pattern as I think it is very flattering.  I opted for short sleeves, well I had to have short sleeves due to the amount of fabric :) it is a summer dress so that is ok.

I swapped my needle for a nice new ball point one as this fabric has lots of bounce in it, if you are interested it was from Minerva and only £5 so a bargain of a dress.  I made the  neck binding by just cutting strips of the same fabric and I took extra care not to pull it as I was sewing, because this fabric was light it made a very good job of the twist detail at the bust.

This really is a new favourite pattern and I may go off and make many versions of it over the coming years, watch this space!


Here you can see my pattern piece folded over quite a lot, it changes the shape of the skirt but not the fit, you just get more of an a-line skirt rather than circular.

We have had a nice long walk today with dogs, sat out in the sun for a little while and now I am planning what to make for dinner. I have seen lots of bunting out ready for tea parties here in the UK I will be cooking a hot dinner, as sandwiches were had at lunch time.  There are also some overripe bananas in the cupboard so a little more baking may be happening later to save them going to waste.

  If you are all set for your garden party then I hope you have a good time, socially distanced of course.  Bye for now.

1 comment:

  1. This turned out great, you did so well to squeeze this out of the fabric you had!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...