Saturday 2 May 2020

Warm Weather Dressing?

Yes me made May day two and I am out of jeans again although wondering if it is such a good idea, I looked out of the window this morning to glorious sunshine so I put on a dress. However on venturing out to the greenhouse first thing I was shocked by the cold wind, especially on my bare legs.  Well I held out and I am still in the dress but once more a zip up hoody has been added to the outfit as the day goes on.

So today I am wearing a dress that I made about seven years ago, I only know it is that long because an old photo popped up in memories  last week of me with my boys and it said six years ago!  Well that shocked me as these things do because the memory felt so close, also I know that I already had this dress before that holiday so it gave me a bi of a time frame.  The fabric is ponte roma and once more there is no pattern as I just used another dress for the bodice measurements and two rectangles that I pleated for the bottom.  This is one of the dresses that I took in and removed the belt loops from quite recently, I don't always want to wear a belt with it so I thought it was best to take them off. I also moved the shoulders in a little as they were a bit wide on me.

Looking very much in need of the sun in this photo!

This dress has always washed really well and if hung out to dry hardly needs an iron so my kind of thing.  It is also really comfy so I like this style and I have a few, I do have a new piece of fabric that is on my table and I think this will be another dress along these lines.  The only reservation I have about it is that it is really bouncy and I'm wondering if the hem will be ok.  Sometimes really stretchy fabric can pull out at the bottom and spoil the shape even with binding due to gravity pulling it down.  I may just go for it and see, here is the fabric...

 Now I thought this looks nice and summery but at the same time it has black in it so I can wear tights if necessary and if I do short sleeves maybe a little cardi over it if it is cold, it often is here.

Yesterday I dug out another old book that I gave up on some time ago What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell.  Now I really like his writing but I got bored with this first time around, it is a series of articles  of his that were in the New Yorker so it is not one continuous book as is his others have been.  So yesterday I picked an article at random and really enjoyed it, and then another also very interesting. This time around I am going to approach the book that way and only read the odd article as and when it interests me, which just goes to show looking at things with new eyes in a new time etc. We are never the same two days in a row and neither is our perspective so it is good to revisit things we thought we had finished sometimes.

Now my cake tin is finally empty so I am off to go and do some thing about that. Bye for now.


4 comments:

  1. That is such a lovely dress, the colour looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dress is such a lovely shape and the colour is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed a lovely dress and the fabric for the new one is beautiful. Perfect for those days when tights and a cardi are needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I like your finished dress and the pattern one will look great in that style too. I think thats a fab idea with regards to tights and cardi - tights are just the best when it's cooler. I love them but only under something that covers my bottom :) I usually wear them all winter with shorter skirts or a tunic thing. And lots of woolies!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...