Tuesday 12 May 2020

Mending and Making

A quick  bit about todays  me made May first, another self drafted dress this time with set in sleeves the quick and easy elastic waist with ties and a lovely strawberry thief fabric ( not liberty but it looks like it).


I have seen fabric like this at twenty pounds a metre and more but this one was seven pounds a metre so much more affordable.  I would say where from but I can't remember, online I know that much.

My husband has walked down the back of his jeans, he does this a lot rather than have me turn them up when they are new he insists on wearing them too long until eventually there is a tatty bit at the back.  They had reached the point where they had to be sorted but due to the nature of the rip it didn't leave much to hem as you can see here I have had to cut up to the torn part and taper it a litte.  I had some other denim scraps so I have cut some thin strips that I joined to the hem to give me something to turn up.
After I stitched the strips on I overlocked them in navy and then turned the hem very close to the join.
Here it is on the right side and fortunately we have hardly lost much length just the amount that should have come off before they were ruined!
So that was one job done then there were a few holes that needed attention.  This style of denim is distressed but the trouble with that is they go through quickly on the faded shabby parts.
I patched them on the wrong side and then stitched on the right side too where the denim may fray out.

Here are the little holes on the right side, I don't quite get why it was distressed in this way to begin with just random bits on the back it is a bit odd.

My making for today was a new bag for myself, I have cut out two, one for me and one for my Etsy shop both different of course but using the same foxy fabric.  I decided to do this today as I keep collecting these little bits of fabric and then I am loath to part with them, so I thought I would do two styles and one is for me.  

So this is a gift to myself, it is a bit autumnal I know but I just loved the colours, the other one is almost finished and that one is grey with the fabric on the diagonal. 

What have you all been up to? Maybe a few have returned to work or managed to get out for a little longer in the fresh air.  Keep yourselves safe whatever you are doing, back soon. 











1 comment:

  1. Oh gosh, I'm forever taking up Stuy's jeans coz he's only a little fella and they are always too long! I'm just in the middle of fixing some holes in my 'distressed' jeans because my knees are getting cold! Its all very well being trendy but I prefer to be warm!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...