Sunday 17 May 2020

Hoody Refashion Reveal

Hello I have had a lovely day messing about with my refashion project, it has been so relaxing I think mainly because there is no new fabric involved, or timescale and it has just been evolving as it went along I suppose.  Beware  many photo's coming up, so here is the finished jacket/cardi or whatever you want to call it and it now fits perfect.

What are those flowery bits of Amy Butler fabric doing at the front I hear you say, well let me explain as this jacket has been something of a Frankenstein project when I cut up the original hoody there was not enough fabric to cut many of the burda pieces in full.  As a result I have pieced bits together here and there.  I didn't want a join showing there at the front so I thought I would embellish it a bit.

Here is where I had to patch on an extra bit of fabric before cutting out the yoke as I didn't have a big enough piece of blue jersey for both sides after cutting the under arms.


Here you can see the blue under sleeve, and did I have to patch a bit under the left arm to make the piece big enough, yes I did, ha ha! Told you it was Frankenstein's jacket, it's ok it is hardly noticeable.


The centre front panels are in two pieces but where I remade the pockets and added the blue I found that when I re-attached them I could line them up so it sort of hides the join.  If you look the pocket ends at the navy blue the line continuing across the front to the zip is the join.


There wasn't enough rib for the new jacket style even though the original was really big. So I made these folded strips of jersey from the offcuts and added them at each side.

I kept the back of the jacket all one piece but it had to be recut further down to allow for set in sleeves as the originals were raglan.  This means there are also little triangular details on the shoulder at the back too.

The under side of the collar is blue fabric scraps, I had to cut down the zip after I unpicked it and then line up all my bits on the front.

I handstitched the zip in first and don't worry about the messy seam I will cover that in a minute.

Here I covered the inside of the zip with jersey scrap fabric to make it neat, I am tempted to go over all the inside seams like this or is that going too far?

Just now though I should have taken a before shot of how big it was on me doh!

I hope this has been useful for showing you that you can take old clothes or charity finds and play around with them.  If you don't spend much you have the chance to learn a lot from doing things like this, all the while keeping in mind that it is ok if it goes wrong.  I am aware people go on expensive dress making course and are ushered down the road of buying the expensive pattern you will be making with the expensive fabric!   Wow what pressure that must be, I think you can't beat practising on old clothes, sheets, offcuts or whatever else you can lay your hands on.  As you can see I still like messing about like this after all these years, if you don't spend much you can view it as play and learning without the pressure.

Now under my re-fashion I have on todays me made May day 17, a self drafted skirt (sale fabric) a self drafted t shirt from a pinterest idea I saw (remnant fabric).
That is all for today I hope it wasn't too much with all the images, have a lovely week. 









3 comments:

  1. I think your jacket is wonderful! I love the triangular detail on the shoulders and the little fabric patches :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! That jacket turned out so well! Really impressive! I'm amazed at all the little details you thought of to actually turn an unwanted garment into something useful. Great job!
    I love repurposing but I just don't have the patience to redo something with quite so much finesse ;o) I tend to stick to using op shop fabrics that I don't have to cut down, simply because I like things done quickly. I am however inspired by other peoples abilities to do what you've done. Maybe I'll try again ;o)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...