Friday 22 May 2020

Orla Kiely

There was a more enjoyable morning of sewing today as I made a bag and I really enjoy  making these. Just restful sewing, however my machine is making some very odd noises at the moment.  I do understand that it probably gets more use  and wear than a lot of machines as I am often forcing faux leather through it and it is only a domestic machine.  I think I will give it a good once over tomorrow to see what is going on.

Anyway here is todays creation...
Like this on one side.

Like this on the other, now this is Orla Kiely upholstery fabric and the print is too big for a handbag unless you are making a really big one. So I cut it down the middle and I like the half pattern look.

There is repurposed duvet fabric for the lining and a recycled denim pocket, I am already wondering what to make next.  The good news is I just sold one bag so I feel justified making another each time one sells.

Earlier today I had another  look at those dodgy shorts that I was working on and I feel that with a bit of tweaking (removing the ridiculous high waist and possibly putting in a proper waistband) they may look better.  I sent my friend a picture of me in them as she wanted to see, and have a laugh  and she agrees they would look better without the high waist. 

Today for me made May day 22 I have on a self drafted a-line skirt fully lined, and a self drafted v-neck t shirt. I watched a really good youtube when I made the t-shirt that shows you how to do a perfect v, it turned out much better than ones I have done in the past.
I went for a very windy walk earlier with the dogs and they ran around the field going mad, what is it with dogs and wind?  Although I have noticed it can also have a rather odd effect on children too. When I got back I made the discovery that the burda magazine I thought I had bought I had only bid on!  Honestly you would think I have never used ebay before, the thing is I was looking at buy it now ones so that must have thrown me off.  It went for £6.80, for a used magazine I don't think so you can buy it in the shops!   I have been looking at a subscription today and wondering whether to treat myself, not sure if it would be worth it as I make so many things without patterns, I think I just like the idea of a magazine treat each month to look forward to.   

Have a lovely weekend everyone.



3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful bag! I love how you have made use of so many different fabrics and upcycled some of it too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughters buy me a subscription for a magazine for Mothers days each year, changing the choice each year. We call it the gift that keeps on giving for 12 months and is a delight to have something each month to look forward to. Love the bag, the fabric is a delight. Hope there is nothing too serious wrong with your sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love your bags. I have one bag that I never use :/ I like to keep my money in my wallet and pockets when I'm out and about. Your skirt and t-shirt are beautiful :) Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...