Monday 11 June 2018

Mushroom and Spinach Risotto (Wheat free Vegan)

Today I have made a mushroom and spinach risotto, I make this a lot and looking back I don't think I have shared my recipe before.  I did share a kale and mushroom version from a magazine once but it was not as good as my version I felt. 
 
I also opted to pick two of my yellow courgettes today as according to a few gardening blog they were at the perfect size.  if they get too big they may lose their sweetness.  As I was already tied to a frying pan making the risotto I decided to chop the courgettes into chunk and roast them. I'm glad I did as they were really nice done this way.  Along with that I also did some crispy tofu in a pan then into the oven.

I always really enjoy this so I will share what I do below but it is not exact measurements as I just pop things in as I go and it works as it always comes out well.  The amount I make serves four if served with an accompaniment. 

Mushroom and Spinach Risotto

3 handfuls of white & wild rice ( that is how I do it, or just add your usual rice for however many)
1 red onion
3 handfuls of spinach
2 garlic cloves
1 punnet chestnut mushrooms
1 veg stock cube
2 tbsp. of nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons vegan cheese sauce powder
quarter cup of soya milk
tsp basil
salt and pepper
A squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
olive oil
water

This is my own recipe, that is why it is a bit random but worth a try because it does taste good.
Heat the oil in a pan and add the rice, let it cook on a low heat until it is a little transparent.
Chop the onion and add to the pan, when the onion is starting to cook add a little water just enough to cover the rice and onion.
Let that cook down a little then add the garlic, keep adding more water as it cooks off, next add the stock cube by sprinkling it in, alternatively you could add to water first.
chop and add the mushroom, season and add basil.
Add the chopped or shredded spinach.
Sprinkle in the nutritional yeast, keep adding a little water as it cooks down.
Add the soya milk and sprinkle in the  vegan cheese sauce powder keep stirring now until it starts to cook down and catch a little.  You can add a little lemon juice as a kick but it is good without too.

 Hope that makes sense, I do it all the time with no measurements so don't be too pure about it, you may add something extra to your taste. ( Oh I forgot to mention there is an extra bit of the courgette in mine today too)

Here is one of the courgettes prior to picking, and it did taste just right.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so tasty! I have a vegan friend coming for dinner in a week or so and this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...