Tuesday 4 June 2019

Bag Making and a Day Out

Last week I mentioned that I had finished another handbag and was about to list it on Etsy, well I did that although I am still not sure if it is the best place to get seen these days. You are something of a drop in the ocean of handmade sellers out there.  Anyway on it went and I am really pleased that I used up my last piece of the Paris fabric in this handbag.  I made a skirt in this about five years ago that I still wear, then it went into another bag that belongs to a friend of mine.  Later still it made up some of the hexagons in my lap quilt it can be seen here.

So it was only ever a metre of fabric but I really do try and use all that I can and that makes me happy that there is very little waste.  Here is the bag, all elements of this particular bag are recycled including the strap, I saved that years ago from a different bag.

Oops I just realized I bought the D ring on the front and the black ribbon new, I did make the little tassel.  I am very fond of these at the moment so every future bag may have a tassel :)


So the back is the same apart from the tassel, the fabric is in the style of an old newspaper.

Anyone recognise the fabric inside leftover from a dress I made a few weeks ago?

After pottering away with that on Friday I had a sewing free day Saturday as we  visited my sister in law at Bridlington for her fiftieth birthday.  She had rented a hut on the sea front and was having a get together there, it was a lovely day in terms of seeing people but the weather was not so good, grey cloud, wind and rain.  All week the forecast had been good for Saturday too, oh well she has the hut for the week so they have been enjoying it for the last couple of days too with better weather. 

While we were there, it was the Steampunk meeting and a classic cars event so plenty to see.  However we only went for the afternoon but we did have a look around and I managed to get a few photographs.
This camper was amazing, such a lot of work had gone into it and the couple (I presume the owners) in the photograph looking like pirates were posing for shots for hours.  I couldn't get any closer as there were so many trying to take pictures I didn't want to get in the way.   A lot of people had gone to great  effort over their costumes.

Inside the Bridlington Spa it was mainly stalls selling the Steampunk type of clothing but there were a few others with accessories I managed to find myself this...

I decided to wear it immediately and then someone said to me 'out of all that stuff in there did you manage to find the one thing with a sewing machine on?'  Ha! probably yes, it was calling to me. 

My husband found these lamps interesting...

Outside the Bridlington Spa were the classic cars, you really don't realise how big they are until you get up close.  We are so used to seeing the cars in films but can you imagine the costs of running one on fuel over here.


So it was a nice afternoon and a good chance to get to see family who are living in Bridlington now, also my sister in law had a bigger turnout to her party than she expected so that was nice.

That's all for now I am off to cook the dinner and finish piecing together a free print off pattern.


3 comments:

  1. What a fantastic bag!! Those lamps are wonderful. Today's stylish bulbs are designed to be seen. I remember way back in the 60's and 70's nearly all the ceiling lights in our house didn't have a shade and I love the steampunk look in interior design. Best, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely bag. It's fun to use up even small pieces of fabric isn't it? Very satisfying.
    I'm the same with bags on Etsy, there are just so many. I do much better with cards and other smaller bits and pieces. It always makes me happy when something a little bigger sells though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful bag, loved the addition of the tassel. I enjoyed the camper van, I can only imagine the work that went into restoring it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...