Tuesday 18 June 2019

Babushka Bag

A lovely Tuesday to you all,  I have just got home and I am feeling relieved as one of my dogs was sick last night but now he is bouncing around and seems perfectly well.  My son has been home all day as exams are finished and he said he has been fine.  Last night he managed to find a bit of cream rug to throw up on in an otherwise hard floor living room, he was ill a few more times with us quickly ushering him to the door.  Aside from the vomiting he was not acting unwell but dogs can't tell you that is the worry.

I completed another little bag on Sunday, I don't know about you all but sometimes I  am not sure what I am going to make until I have all the bits on the table and that was the case here.  I had some babushka fabric leftover from a bag I made a few years ago, just a small amount and various other recycled bits.  The result was this little bag and I like the effect of the colours together, I wasn't sure I had made the right choice when I began stitching.

There is some recycled duvet cover in there for lining,  the red zip was unpicked from an item so long ago I can't even remember what! The stabilizer is some felt that I had and the strap is recycled, the little charm was bought as part of a pack of three a long time ago and this is my last one so I may buy more as I do like them.
This is the back view, pretty much the same without the charm and zip pocket.

I will keep adding to my shops on Etsy and Folksy gradually and the worst that can happen is that I will end up with a bag for every occasion if they don't sell.  I am already finding folksy gets more views than Etsy after just a few days.  There is also the fact that I have read that the search favours large shops over those with just a few items, so my having only a few items listed will not do me any favours.  Also not sure at the moment if I should just concentrate on Folksy as it is more local.

This weekend I read a couple of books 'The Silent Guides' by Prof Steve Peters, he wrote the books on our inner chimps and this one is more if the same really but aimed at raising children.  I didn't really notice that when I picked it up as my children are grown but I do work with children so not a waste of time.  I did find it a quick read, it has 274 pages but lots of graphics and bullet points.  If you have read his previous work I wouldn't say it offered anything new on how to manage your brain or that of your child.

The other book I read was very short but interesting and  was 'The deal of a Lifetime' by Frederick Backman, more of a short story but an interesting one.  I enjoyed it and would recommend it, sometimes you work your way through hundreds of pages just to come to a poor ending so this was a refreshing change.

On Sunday I also listened to another interesting podcast by Cal Newport, I have read some of his work before and he was interesting to listen to.  His topic was digital minimalism and that is the theme of his latest book.  What was interesting is that my generation are the last to grow up in the developed world who won't have had access to smart phones and social media growing up. It was also stated that this links to the current younger generation having high levels of mental health and anxiety issues.    It was on the rich roll podcast on YouTube again so if you have listening time while doing some menial chores why not give it a go.    It was quite sobering as last week I had read a book on online marketing which basically said you need to be on everything to have any chance of success online.  Cal Newport however has never had a social media account, he does very well with his books and career and the one thing he does keep up is his blog. I might also add he is a professor of computer science!

Have a good week. 





2 comments:

  1. That sounds like a very interesting podcast. I will certainly give it a go!
    It's quite sad that children today are growing up with more mental health issues than ever before due to the pressures of social media. I too only maintain a blog presence and dabbled with IG a few years ago but felt like it sapped away any creative energy / time so I quit it!
    Such a great bag - very stylish!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful bag, I love the babushka fabric.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...