Tuesday 25 June 2019

Charity Shop Finds and an Elephant Bag

On Saturday we  went for a walk in town and had a browse in the charity shops, I am not a fan of shopping as something to do but we were treating ourselves to lunch out and there are quite a few nice charity shops on the same street.  Whenever we are near one I will have a look and often come out without anything but there is always that chance that you will spot something you need/want and that is the fun part.  Going and buying things new the minute the impulse takes you is not great for the purse but I can appreciate if it is something you truly want and you can afford it then why not.
I love the fact that you are saving unwanted items, getting a bargain and benefitting the charity so it makes the whole process feel a lot more satisfying to me anyway.


As I often mention on this blog I get most of my books from the library but sometimes if there is a particular cook book or reference book that I know will be  read more than once I sometimes buy them.  So with that in mind I was delighted to find this Deliciously Ella book for £2.50, I would not be able to buy that cheaper on ebay as you have postage costs so that was my first bargain, it is a hardback too and looks like new.
The pretty little skirt above is from Oasis originally and I paid £1 for that from the reduced rail, it is a little big so a little bit off each side seam and it will be perfect, it is fully lined too. The glasses were £2.49 for four and I love the fruit design on the sides, finally there is the cute cake tin for £1.50.  My husband did not get why I was so thrilled with this but it was the design more than anything, I think it may stay in sewing area for non food related items ;) it is too much fun to stay in a cupboard.

I finished another little bag yesterday and I am afraid I want to keep this one, I know I will not get very far stocking up if I keep taking a fancy to them myself but it is also sad if they sit waiting to sell and I could have been enjoying them.   This was made from elephant fabric leftover from my blouse from a while back, the stripy blue and white skirt I made last year, duvet cover lining and new vinyl.  Oh and the charm is just odd bits and beads.

I am wondering if white is a good idea on a handbag but it will wash. 


We have been watching a new French drama on Netflix this last week, it is called Black Spot  (Zone Blanche in French and that doesn't mean black spot but rather white zone or area so that bit of translation is a mystery).  Anyway it is a crime drama set in a small town surrounded by a forest with high levels of crime, a lot of it centring around this  forest. There is an unusual police force and the town seems to follow it's own set of rules. We are really enjoying it and I have seen other French dramas with the similar backdrop of the sinister forest, it seems to be a recurring theme in a lot of their television.

I have finished two books this last few day Small Move Big Change by Caroline Arnold and Make Your Bed by William H. Mcraven  I found the first book interesting and the second very repetitive they both cover the subject of positive habits but Make Your bed is from  a military perspective and I really don't feel that all the yelling and screaming from drill sergeants or whatever they call them is always the making of people.  In fact I wonder how many are actually broken by the whole experience, so while discipline is good and needs developing in the mind I think there  are healthy limits.  That's all for today, thank you for reading. 

3 comments:

  1. Such bargains. I have cooked / baked quite a number of the Deliciously Ella recipes and there are some really tasty treats in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bag! The lovely little tin makes me think of Orla Kiely's mid-century designs. Our best ever buy was a set of six hand made coffee cups, which were originally from Betws-y-Coed pottery, for just £3!! Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tin is a great find, I would keep it for sewing notions too, a great bargain. Love the new bag you have made again I would keep it, the fabric is a delight.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...