Saturday 1 September 2018

Sofa Quilt

I have to admit to being a bit of a cheat with my quilt, I didn't continue with the hexagons for the whole quilt you see.  After I had made twelve hexagon flowers and arranged them on the fabric to have a think I then cut out the rest of my hexagons in a white and pale blue stripe.  Well when I put them beside the flowers the design was almost lost, I had a bit of a rethink and decided to go with a grey spotty background and stitch the hexagon flowers to it in a uniform way.  It may not have been my original intention but I am very happy with it, all the lovely colours stand out.
It has been on the sofa a couple of days now so it is serving it's purpose and the dogs seem to like it!  I used some plain white cotton for the backing and I cut strips of the spotty fabric to bind it.  I did want a contrast but nothing I had was big enough and went with it and I didn't want to buy  binding especially.  The wadding has been sitting in my cupboard for some time, I have only hand stitched all the way through where the flowers are, I think it may need more to stop the movement so any tips would be appreciated as to designs and so on as I haven't really done many  quilts.  The only big one I made years ago was machine stitched through in diamonds, I don't really want to do that to this one.
   
We have been out walking in a another new spot today, Agden Reservoir Bradfield.  The superb weather once more put a beautiful sky over everything and we felt like the only people who knew about this one for most of the way around.  We eventually saw a couple of other people but on the whole very quiet.
The sun on the water looked very inviting (not that I would go in and you can't of course).


 The path was more rugged on this walk so maybe that was why we saw less people, it certainly wouldn't be suitable for anyone unsteady on their feet but if you want to get way from it all it is ideal.
 Here we were on the way back down the road and in the very distance we could see Dam Flask that we walked around last week.

 Back down in the village there was a game of cricket taking place.
All very English village.


3 comments:

  1. That's a lovely quilt. I hope it is not just for your dogs :-)

    I am sewing hexagons together, too, but I decided against the flowers because I didn't do any planning when cutting out fabric. Have a good Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks good. It was the right decision to stitch them to the quilt rather than make a whole hexagon topper for a dog! Did you want to hand quilt all the way through the quilt to avoid any wrinkles? You can simply do running stitch through all layers with some embroidery threads. That always stops it rucking up. You could quilt a grid over it to put each flower in a little border/window and that would hold it still. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo, I may try the border around the flowers and possibly a bit in-between where there is a lot of grey. I do share the quilt with the dogs!

      Delete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...