Saturday 28 March 2020

Sewing Birds

Day one of my little pinterest challenge for myself and I chose to make a little bird.  This is another great way of using up tiny bits of fabric (or bigger pieces depending hoe big you want it) and also a nice little project that can be finished in front of the T.V for adding the bead eyes and wings.  I actually clicked on the link on pinterest but couldn't see the templates, maybe I wasn't looking hard enough, here is the link if you want to see the original here. So I just drew my own, it is quite a basic shape for a bird but if you need you can always google bird silhouettes and print one from there I expect.

I had fun going through the scrap bag to see which fabrics would look well together, I have a feeling there will be more of these popping up all over the house I think they may be quite addictive!  As an added bonus my mothers day plant proved to be just the setting for a picture and the colours go well too.

It is different fabric on each side, also the underbelly bit is also different.  I chose to do the wings in felt but if you are hand stitching the whole bird would work well in felt and then you wouldn't have to turn in the fiddly seams.

I couldn't put my hands on embroidery thread (I know another sort out is in order)  so I just used regular thread doubled up.  There is some somewhere I will have to find it for the next one.

For stuffing I cut up some little bits of scrap fleece, so all of the bits are recycled.  In the pinterest image these birds were hanging with thread from a twig and that looked cute, you could also put a keyring on them.  For now this one is sat beside my machine waiting for the rest of the flock.
Here are the shapes that I drew and cut out but I decided not to use tail feather piece it just didn't add anything, maybe on a bigger bird it would work.

The piece for under the belly didn't need to be that long either or as wide it sort of evolved as I stitched it.

On another note this last few evenings we have started watching My Brilliant Friend on Now T.V it is based on the book by Elena Ferrante and I am really enjoying it, so if you like watching drama with subtitles (it is in Italian) this may be for you.  It follows the friendship of two girls and I have to say the actors both play excellent parts.  If you would rather read the book it is available from the library in digital format that I mentioned yesterday, just add rbdigital then log into your library account.  I may read it after I have watched it, my husband doesn't get it when I do that but sometimes it is good to compare.

Back soon, take care.






1 comment:

  1. What a delight they are and a wonderful way to use little scraps of fabric. Perfect to hang on twigs at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...