Friday 27 March 2020

The Liberty Dress

Hello I hope you are all keeping safe, I am trying to do a variety of things to keep things interesting and yesterday I checked my compost bin to see if any of it was ready and at the bottom there was dark rich looking stuff!  So I have planted to some flower seeds in my greenhouse.  Now I know I am supposed to use seed potting compost but as I have been unable to get out to get any I am doing this experiment to see if they will still grow.  You can plant some seeds straight into the ground so I am not entirely sure why it would be so wrong but I am just trying things out.

I did get a lot of the garden tidied up this week as I am sure many of you are doing the same, making the most of this lovely weather while we are at home, I found a couple of stray pansies growing out of the side of the path and gravel so I transplanted them to a bed.  Those sort of free plants are super don't you think?  I found quite a few last year springing up in odd places and a little collection filled a planter.

Sewing wise I made the liberty dress from Simply Sewing magazine, it seems a bit odd to call it that as in the pattern images they have used liberty style fabrics.  I on the other hand have used this John Kaldor stretch sateen from Minerva.  I did make the dress with the three quarter sleeves and knee length to begin with but I didn't really like it like that so I shortened both the sleeves and the hem.  I think it was my fabric choice with the pattern, in my head it looked different but we all have our off days and I am usually better at matching pattern to fabric.  That said I am happy with the result in its current version.

Here it is now, complete with dog bowls!  Then below the first take looking a little more dowdy I think.
So I have now utilised two patterns from the first simply sewing magazine I received, a few weeks a go I used the simple burda top pattern to make the top for my mock jumpsuit here.   The aim is to try and make something form each copy although I know this may be tricky if they replicate items I already have/make or if I just don't like what is on offer, so we will have to see.

You can see the lovely sheen and colour of the fabric in this image.

There has been lots of reading going on both on and off line, my current paper book is The Milkman by Anna Burns and was winner of The Man Booker prize 2018, now I am not always a fan of books that win awards some are fabulous and others leave you wondering what the judges were thinking. However I have enjoyed this but it is not a quick and easy read, she has a very different style of writing and episodes of rambling that leave you either laughing out loud or wondering what on earth is going on. It is very thought provoking and witty, it also reminded me of my childhood and hearing about the troubles in Northern Ireland on the news or from family ( my uncle lived there as my auntie is Irish).  We hear about things on the news with no idea what life must be like for those involved, restricted movements, freedoms and having your choices taken away, currently we are all having to live differently to try and slow this awful virus.  

Just today I have also been browsing the elibrary set up, I got a message from the library as we are unable to borrow actual books at the moment saying we should make the most of this service.  While I do have a few library books left I thought I would take a look, well it worked fine on my phone but I needed support from my son to get it on my laptop.  You have to download RBdigital which is fine on a phone or tablet but will vary on your laptops, have  look around but there is an icon at the bottom of their homepage for adobe at the bottom right so click on that if need be.  Using that app I read half a book this morning then got bored with it, at least it didn't cost me, there are also lots of audio books on there to listen to while sewing.

Another thing I have been doing is looking through my pinterest boards, I actually have one called stuff to make.  I have decided to work my way through it over the next few weeks, some of the things are very small and some are slightly bigger  and with that in mind I will be trying to post more frequently.  That may be each day or every other day as a way to share ideas that may help  keep you busy but also to keep my brain focused on an actual goal.

What have you all been up to? Please feel free to share in the comments I always enjoy reading them. 


1 comment:

  1. Just catching up whilst I have internet connection which is very patchy of late. Glad you are safe and well and able to fill your day. Love the dress. Like you we have made a start on setting up some seeds, whatever we can grown may become very useful as time goes by. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...