Friday 8 March 2019

A Quick Sweater

In my quest to add more tops and everyday wearable items to my wardrobe I ordered this knit fabric from Minerva a couple of weeks ago.  It is a good weight, not too heavy but just right for this time of year when it is still cold but you don't want a really thick jumper on.   I decided to use a favourite long sleeved top of mine that I made last year, I know it fits well I made the pattern for it and it gets a lot of wear.

Working again  with just the one metre I had to get creative with the sleeves to have the pattern in the right direction.  This time I chose to do a deep cuff otherwise there wasn't enough fabric to make the sleeves long enough.


This worked well I think and at least these little setbacks force me to add a bit of detail here and there where otherwise it might not have happened.  I also wanted to add some interest at the neck, I have done this detail before on a black top.  I cut the neck round then made a slit, after that I added binding and hemmed it, finally fishing the effect by hand gathering it down to create a slightly rouched effect.


I am not about to stitch over there I just rested the needle there a moment to get an image for you.


The colours are nice and bright and it is comfortable to wear, I do feel I have to force myself to make practical items even though I need them.  It just always seems to me that dresses are more fun especially the impractical ones, but then they sit in the wardrobe waiting for a rare night out!

There is a definite need for some more plain black tops to go with the colourful skirts I have made, or navy perhaps, it is just a case of buying the plain fabric because it is not very exciting.  Maybe if I can find some with a texture on it will inspire me a bit more.

I have decided to give Etsy another go, I had a few bags packed away that I had made a while ago and I intend to add to that each week.  I got quite excited because I listed last weekend and got a sale on Monday evening.  They are a modest sum which doesn't really reflect the time spent but it is always nice to see that people want the things you make. Here is a link if anyone would like a peek, my etsy shop 










4 comments:

  1. Love the fabric - I made a t-shirt with the very same last year and wear it often. Your new sweater is such a good fit, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the fabric looked familiar when it arrived. I bet your blog is where I've seen it then. x

      Delete
  2. I too love the fabric, such pretty colours. Popping over to your etsy shop now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that top, i'm too scared to use any fabric that may stretch !

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...