Wednesday 1 April 2020

Pattern Storage Box

Today I thought I would have a go at improving some of my sewing storage, I have been using old boxes to keep my patterns in under my sewing table.  Unfortunately  when I keep pulling them out the sides have got a little torn, they are also boring so were in need  of a makeover.

I had an image on a board that I liked with faux leather handles so as I have some of this from my bag making supplies I decided to recreate it. I have done my design as a slip cover for the box as the box is good for stability and saves the need for buying special fabric stiffeners.  Keeping everything recycled again also saves the pennies and solves a problem, I also think these boxes could be made for anywhere in the house as they can be on display.  There is another to be covered tomorrow and that one may have different fabric on each side to use up more pieces.

Here is the first, I used left over dress cotton for the sides and sheeting for the bottom.
I have used recycled denim to frame it around the top then just slipped it over the box, that way when it gets grubby it can be washed.  To make the cover I just drew around the box and then allowed a seam allowance.   The handles are faux leather back to back then just stitched straight on top.


It is better than a cardboard box and easier to handle now too.

Most people have probably got the odd box in need of covering.

Earlier today I finished reading The Temple House Vanishing by Rachael Donohue, I enjoyed it but found the ending a bit too predictable.  It was an easy going read and ideal for just before bed as it was not too taxing.  

I am currently half watching Location, Location... and wondering how people with such massive budgets still manage to look disappointed with all the beautiful houses they view, too much choice maybe?

That's all for now, stay safe. 



3 comments:

  1. Such a great idea and a wonderful storage solution. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspirational! what a great idea. I have sorted my fabric this last week and have a parcel for you but you will have a wait a bit longer until I can send it to you. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a lovely pattern box! The fabric is really pretty and I love the handles.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...