Wednesday 12 January 2022

Treat Yourself

 Hello week two of the new year and all is going well so far, I am keeping an eye out for objects to declutter and sticking to my daily lists they are really helping me.  I hope you are all keeping up with your good intentions.  I did  hear someone say the other day that January is the worst for motivation due to the gloom but we can only try to do what we can.

The meals have been looking a bit more intersting as I try new things from my books, also a few made up side dishes with potatoes.  We are having something I know we all like this evening and that is jackfruit with wraps and my special rice. I do have to add a bit of meat for my son as he is not meat free so I just cook him a portion in the oven and add it at the table.

Looking for little ways to reward yourself on a dark day is the wasy to go I think, there was this little chocolate bar in the cupboard that a friend bought me so I had that yesterday with a cup of Christmas tea ( I know it is not Christmas anymore but I can drink the tea!)  How do you treat yourself during the dark winter days?


I finished The Mercies, a few days ago and I have to say I loved this book, I do have another by the same author that I picked up in a charity shop but then realised it is a childrens book I will read that one now anyway as she writes very well. 

  So The Mercies is set in Vardo, a Norwegian Island in 1617 and during a storm forty fishermen drown during a terrible storm.  The book is about the women left behind and the actual event did happen, the  focus is on relationships, how they coped and the consequences of being strong women in a time when women were seen as something to be feared if they did not fit a certain mould or ideal of what a woman should be or do.  I love anything that has basis of truth to it and it always inspires me to look further into that part of history, the location and so on.  The author Kiran Millwood Hargrave, did a beautiful job of capturing the characters in the story, I hope you will  give this one a try if you are a reader.


Here is another little bag with various bits and think they go very well together if a little quirky ,but then I do like quirky.


Well enjoy the rest of the week and be well. 









5 comments:

  1. Esos pedacitos combinan a la perfección. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interested in the book The Mercies, I looked it up to see if my library has it, and it has it as an audible book, so I've put it on my list to read. I'm sure I will enjoy it. I enjoy a true story.

    We are cold here at the moment. I got up and made a batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies to take to my son's house (this week the children are doing online learning, so I'm making lunch for them). When I get home my treat is going to be curling up under a cosy throw with a coffee and reading some more of the book I have on the go. I am reading The Herons Cry by Anne Cleeves, set in Devon. I like her books for her characters and the settings. I enjoy your blog. I'm a knitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, that sounds like a good treat. Funnily enough I saw The Mercies in a charity shop today a like new edition too but as I have just read it I didn't need it, I did get a couple of other books though. I have put The Herons Cry on my list as I like to have books recommended that I have not heard of. Have a good evening.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the book recommendation, it sounds right up my street.... off to locate a copy....

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have inspired me on the decluttering front, I have the intention to do some every day that way if I don't I am not beating myself up. I do like the idea of little and often.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...