Friday 8 February 2019

Here and Now

Hello, I thought I would share a little of what I've been up to as we move through February, hard to believe it is here already and wasn't it just Christmas? Anyway I read this fabulous article on raptititude.com and you can find it here.  If you have not read this blog before it is well worth a look through all his back posts as they are so interesting.  This article is all about how we often start new hobbies, strive for new achievements and meet new people without ever really getting to know in depth that which we set out to do, learn or achieve.  The same goes for some relationships he stresses, for some people.  He talks about he spent  time developing lapsed hobbies, returning to previous learning projects and also spending time with people close to him.

I thought this was a really  thought provoking article as today we are often encouraged to keep striving for the new, the novel and the latest craze and it is somehow seen as being left behind if you are not at least trying to get on board with the latest social craze. David (the author) also recommends returning to much loved books and half finished projects around the house.  Just developing a feeling of having and being enough without looking for the next thing.

I have been trying to keep this in mind as I go about my days, and there are all kinds of areas we can apply this to. Just  before Christmas I started a  course on Future learn about English in early Childhood.  This relates to my job and while there was lots of overlap with courses I have already done there was still lots of  new and interesting information.  I have lots of non fiction books that I have enjoyed but I can't remember all that they contained, I have decided that my current book pictured below will be read with an eye to learning rather than just whizzing through it, I have to say I sometimes do that and it is not a race to the finish is it?
All in all the theme was to go deeper into everything we do or already do and I am trying to keep that at the front of my mind whatever I am doing or am about to do, without seeing things as a task to be got through.   When we first start  new things they are not tasks are they?  I think perhaps we make them so just because they are no longer new.

With that in mind today I had some alterations to do and while I have done rolled hems before I thought I would watch a professional first.  I found this on YouTube How to sew a perfect rolled hem and this is really good as she does not recommend using the rolled hem foot just your zipper foot.  This will depend on your machine but I have always found my regular foot works well, the tips on handling though are really useful and I did notice a difference so take a look at that. 

Yesterday a top I made for my mum was featured on the Minerva Crafts blog if you want to take a look you can find it here Minerva Crafts  you may have to scroll down to find it, it's the metallic jersey top.

I am also reading The Little Drummer Girl in fiction, I did watch the drama when it was on TV so I have had this on order from the library. Sometimes the book is so much better and other times they disappoint we will have to see how this one measures up. 

Oh I have one last link for you, this song from Hillsong United, Hold Me Now , it is a worship song and I know that may not be for everyone but they are amazing musician's so have a listen, it is so beautiful.  I have it on now as I write this, it's a current favourite of mine. 



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the rolled hem tip and link. I am never too keen to use the rolled hem foot, I make a bit of a mess of it. Love the silhouette of the blue top, I shall go and read the Minerva Blog post just now to find out what pattern it is. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book looks interesting, I will try the library. Beautiful song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top you made for your mum is amazing. It's all very mermaid or Frozen, I can't decide which! Either way it looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That article on Raptitude.com was fascinating ... some really good points in it I thought! I have been trying to go back & complete some long forgotten projects this year. The top you made your Mum is just beautiful .. you are so clever with your sewing. Have a lovely week. Julie Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. That metallic jersey looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. enjoyed that hillsong song, haven't it before. I'm listening to the new Bethel album - Victory, which i'd really recommend too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation I will have to have a listen to the Bethel album.

      Delete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...