Friday 1 February 2019

Abstract Winter Dress

Today while it snowed outside I finished a dress I have had sitting on my sewing table all week.  There is no particular reason for my current sewing dry spell, I suppose it is just one of those things. I have to say that once I sat down and got on with it I enjoyed it as I always do but it is the getting started that seems to be eluding me lately.

The fabric for this dress is my Minerva Crafts test piece for the month, I was very pleased to get this through the post as it is just the thing for winter with a good heavy feel to it.  I made it up using a McCall's pattern from the selection my friend gave me.

This is a lovely fabric to work with and it is also available in a grey and red pattern. It doesn't fray and I always think that is a bonus as there are some fabrics that create such a mess as you work with them  it spoils the fun.
I have know idea what I was doing in this photo but I thought I had better save most of the photos for my Minerva post.

This week I have also finished reading this book, about halfway through I got into it and really wanted to find out what happened to the main character Frankie ( who is struggling with her mental health) but unfortunately it doesn't really go anywhere.  I have noticed on Amazon there are quite a few five star reviews for this book but I found it disappointing.  It is clearly well put together as I wouldn't have stuck with it otherwise but I am a bit old fashioned in that I like a book to arrive at some sort of conclusion and this one doesn't.  There are also black and white photographs throughout the book of dead animals, linked to the characters project of photographing them.  I assume this is also symbolic of her internal mental state but I just found that unpleasant. Oh I clearly didn't get it so no, not for me.  Feel free to comment whether you enjoyed it or not.

I saw some really nice wool the other day and I was tempted to buy that to do some crochet, however I didn't know what I wanted to make with it so no idea how much to buy.  As it was I just left it, my husband keeps saying just get things when you see them. The trouble is there is no point getting it with no project in mind, it was King Cole chunky tweed so if you have any ideas of an easy project for me let me know and I will treat myself from my unspent birthday money.


Etsy Shop







5 comments:

  1. Your new dress is lovely! I do love the fabric & style & it sits really nicely on you. You sew some beautiful garments. I have not come across that book so can't offer a comment sorry, but I'm not sure the pictures of dead animals would appeal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hat and scarf combo would be nice, or storage baskets for your craft room. Google free crochet patterns and you will be amazed what pops up. Love the dress, I have just bought one very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cosy dress. Go on ravelry online and use the yarn search for King Cole chunky and you will find all the things people have made with that yarn and how much they used. Then you can chose a style (on a real person) and buy the right amount without waste or left overs. I do it all the time. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Jo I have just joined and will have a good look through. x

      Delete
  4. Your dress is lovely! Perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...