Sunday 28 September 2014

Burda Black Denim Jacket and Random Bits

Sorry for the absence. I have had a more productive week and I feel like I have had more time for me and less time worrying about work but I only just got around to doing this!
I decided to renew my swimming membership this week it just wasn't worth paying weekly as I would end up wanting to go more often and this way I can just go when I want. It still works out to the same amount for just going once a week.
I feel I am making progress with the guitar playing, I can play a few songs now (perhaps not very well but still) and I can change most of the main chords quickly.  I made a promise to myself to practice every night so that is what I do.  If I never play it for anyone else I don't care, I wanted to learn and I'm going to see it through so I am feeling really positive about that.  Also my fingers no longer hurt as they are quite tough now and shapes I never thought I could get into quickly are now possible so perseverance does pay off.
I am reading 'Mindset' by Carol Dweck this week, not quite finished it but I would have preferred more tips and less anecdotal stories.

 
The book is about how people can achieve their full potential and that many people are stuck with a thought process that tells them if they are not good at something without effort then they are no good and can never be talented in that area. The argument is that successful people never stop trying to learn and improve and being the smartest at the start of life does not always transfer to a successful life.
Interesting stuff however she has a more academic book available on the subject and one review did say she had simplified this book too much so maybe I will check out her other work.
Today I have spent the afternoon sewing finally! I started the denim jacket that I bought the fabric for in the summer. Now that the weather is turning I felt more inspired to make it.
I am using a Burda pattern, I don't use many patterns but as this was very structured I decided to use one.
The only downside to this being everything takes so much longer than when I do my own thing as I am using somebody else's instructions etc.


I am doing 'A' style but in black, I am also lining mine in pink and white stripe Paul Smith shirting.  It is not lined on the pattern so I will sort that part myself.
The thing with doing these commercial patterns is all the cutting out of bits!  I spent ages just getting the pattern pieces sorted, I've usually made a dress in the time it took me to cut pieces!
Flimsy tissue paper!
I had to be quick and move these as we were also cooking Sunday dinner.

I enjoyed doing it and I sometimes forget how relaxing it is to just lose yourself in some sewing especially something like this where I have to concentrate. It definitely calms your mind. I got all of it put together apart from the sleeve bands and I still need to do rest of button holes and buttons.  I will sort the lining tomorrow it would have been completed today but as I am lining it there were bits I couldn't finish until that is in.
Here is where I am up to so far...

I am pleased with it so far but if I make it again I will alter the pattern and make the back smaller as I like jackets more fitted, but saying that if it is for Autumn I may want to fit jumpers under it so we will see.
I am also wondering whether to make the collar slightly narrower? I have already made it smaller than the pattern but I am wondering is it still a bit 70's. I will decide tomorrow when I finish off and hopefully then get some better pictures of it finished.






1 comment:

  1. Wow, great jacket, I wish I could make clothes. I will be interested to see which buttons you put on it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...