Saturday 16 September 2023

Coat Making

 Hello everyone, I hope it has been a good week for you and at least we are still getting a bit of sunshine in the mix here in the UK. That said I am moving towards my warmer makes and this week I have made a coat although it is not for me I thought I would show it here in case anyone is planning a coat for the coming season.

Now this coat is a sample, and it is Butterick 6720 and made up in boiled wool, now that is something I wouldn't buy for myself and I have to say if you making this you need a strong machine as the layers are thick.  Sewing seams of double thickness is fine but once you get onto the areas where it has pockets and lots of layers around the collar it is super thick.  Of course this makes for a very warm coat but do be aware that you will be walking it through in many places. 

 Unless of course you have an industrial machine and then it will be a breeze.  I have a very old one in the garage that I can't have in the house as it is so noisy and is not working properly anymore, time to time I think of getting it repaired for times such as this however as I can't have it in the house there doesn't seem much point.  I don't wish to sit and sew in the garage amongst my husbands mess and that would not be a nice video either when I am filming.

I made version B of the pattern that is medium length, belted and with four larg buttons up each cuff, although you do have options for length and adding a fur cuff or contrast if you wish.  It is fully lined and has shoulder pads, again had this been for me I would have left omitted the shoulder pads.  The boiled wool comes in lots of colours if you are interested and this shade is red but there are a few different shades of red.




When I made a coat for myself I used the vegan wool coating and I thought this to be much easier to handle and super soft if I was wanting a fabric that was easier to handle for this particular coat and if you are vegan you mat prefer to make this in the Vegan wool coating.  Both fabrics and the pattern are from Minerva.

Winter makes aside, yesterday was so glorious that we went for a walk around Dam flask, lots of people were out walking and running and generally making the most of the late sun. We stopped at The Plough for lunch half way round and also noticed that a cute little ice cream parlor has opened up across the road from the pub.  It had four flavours of vegan ice cream for me, this was unexpected and most welcomed.  I had the mango flavour which I think I enjoyed all the more because I thought I was only going inside to buy one for  my husband.

In other sewing I have cut out the pieces for the Croissant bag that I have planned to make from the Burda magazine and also purchased some fabric for a bag that my friend wants me to make for her.  I am still planning what other bits of contrast I want to add to that one though.


Here is the Croissant bag, pictured above.  I have to say I do think Burda sometimes give limited instructions and make things look harder than they are.  This bag would be finished already I had I just made it my way and not opted to show how it it is put together for the magazine version.  In fact I may still do that and explain my way.  


Well have a good weekend, and take care. 



1 comment:

  1. Me ha gustado mucho el cuello grande del abrigo y tienes razón en cuanto a la lana hervida, el año pasado cosí un chaquetón en color rosa de ése material y fué una gran odisea coser las costuras tan gruesas; bonito bolso. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...