Wednesday 29 July 2020

Burda Summer Dress

I spent yesterday making a summer dress from the July issue of Burda, it was the only thing that really grabbed my eye in that issue but that may not have been helped by the over use of pastel colours in a lot of the styling throughout  the magazine.  These are not my favourite colours to wear so I suppose any garments made in those colours would not naturally attract me, also I found a lot of the styles in this particular issue a bit boxy. 

So for the dress, it was nice to make up once the original pattern was traced off.  As usual I went off and did a few things my own way I do find the instructions to be a bit vague which is just as well as I rarely follow them anyway but that could be problematic if you are uncertain about what you are doing. 

For the neck I chose to use ribbon rather than the suggested cord and I also shortened the dress before adding the bottom frill as I thought it would be a bit long for me otherwise.   There was lots of pinning while on the mannequin as that gave me a better idea about the gathers and also if the fit was looking ok. 

I will share a few pictures here but I am saving the rest for the Minerva post...

Overall this is a very loose fitting dress so any sizing issues I may have had with some of the other magazine patterns would  not really apply here.  I think it would be a great dress for all sizes and abilities.  The most time consuming part was arranging the gathers evenly at the shoulders, wrists and hem.

How is everyone else on blogger finding this new layout?  I am uncertain whether to revert back to the original format but is that me just being resistant to change?  I think it is when you are used to just quickly doing things a set way then someone comes along and changes everything, it just takes longer. 

Here is my fabric set up in my new room, that is a bit different too as I still need to cut out downstairs as that is where the table is and the other day I  kept forgetting things upstairs. It will take some adjusting.


 It is so much brighter up here I have to say, the computer is there as I was listening to a podcast and I know that is not a very practical place to put it but I wanted to be able to reach to forward through all the adverts!

We don't have any holidays booked so this week we are having a meal out and then hopefully a bike ride on Friday.  My husband has spaced out a few holiday days so we can make use of them that way, I have seen a few people have still ventures abroad but I don't think I would be able to relax wondering about quarantine on arriving home.  There are a few interesting properties here in the UK we have seen for rent maybe October time, we will wait and see what happens first.

Have a relaxing week everyone whatever you are up to. 

 


4 comments:

  1. Such a pretty dress, black floral works really well for this romantic style. I find Burda magazine patterns too busy to trace, so many lines and overlapping patterns! I am almost certain I'd give up after 10 minutes. It was definitely worth the effort, you look fab in your new dress.

    The new blogger layout works better on phones and tablets I think, the format is adaptive for different screen sizes, which I like. I don't mind the new layout. Blogger is clumsy compared to any other web application I use for work and I resigned myself to accept this (too lazy to move to a different platform).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress looks fabulous. Such great fabric and the pattern is perfect for you. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in awe of the fact that you can cut out and make a dress in a day! It would take me all week!

    I keep finding new changes everytime I open blogger, I notice something else has changed since I last looked. I guess because it hasn't changed for years it is difficult when suddenly there is a major change followed by lots of smaller ones.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...