Monday 27 July 2020

A New Sewing Space

I am quite excited that I now have a new space to sew in, as I mentioned a few weeks ago my oldest son has moved out which was a bit strange I have to say. He is however visiting every weekend so so we are still seeing a lot of him, as this was my first week off I got cracking with the sorting and clearing, I ordered a skip, cleaned out the now spare room and set about painting it. As it had been blue it took five coats of paint cover it all in white as it had been blue before, I wanted it a nice bright space for when I am sewing.

At the weekend my husband bought a piece of furniture board and some wood and built me a long desk for both my machines, this gives me a nice area to work on and he also ordered some LED lights that are under the overhead cupboard.  I have the say the lights are very good, They have a remote with different settings and are nice and bright on the main setting.  You can tell a man was in charge of this bit as I would have just stuck a lamp on the table next to me and that wouldn't have been as good!   So in this case the boys with their toys bit worked out well as I am very impressed with the lights.

The room does still need a few bits of finishing off, I need a blind for the window as it will be a bit open in winter with the lights on and it will also keep in heat.  A new rug possibly as the carpet isn't great I have down a heavy throw in this image below, possibly a few pictures but I don't want to spoil the bright white look of the room.


 The overhead cupboards were already in the room and I  decided to leave them, where the desk is my sons bed was fitted against that wall previously.  I am sure the lighting is going to be much better in here than in my sewing corner that I have used for the past eleven years.  Even today on a dark rainy day the light is good.

This past week I have also been sewing although not yet in my new room as it is only just finished.  I made a new bag...

So that was one of my jobs for the week as I realised I hadn't listed a new bag for a few weeks, then I made a top from a simple sew pattern.  Now I will share this another day mainly because I don't have a still of it but what I do have is a video of the process.  Now I have sent that for someone to take a look at and I am still highly self conscious about the whole being filmed bit but I have done it so we will see.  My husband said it is ok so maybe I am over critical but nobody likes to see or hear themselves do they?    I will get some photographs of the top and post another day.

My sewing job for today is to make a dress from the July Burda issue , I know I was not as productive as I was with the June issue but there were not as many things that jumped out at me.  I did  like this dress so I have been waiting for the fabric and the time to do it, so now for a bit of tracing off.


 This fabric is fun in the image on the magazine but if you follow their links to fabric it is very expensive, so I have gone for this floral design.

Well I hope you are all keeping safe, enjoying the snippets of summer that we get here in the UK and managing to get some creating done.  I have noticed among the blogs that I follow that we all seem to be on a bit of a go slow at the moment, I am sure many of you may be on your summer holidays. We are staying here with a few day trips out, bye for now.

2 comments:

  1. What a great work room you have made for yourself I love the sound of the lights. I think life in general has just slowed down somewhat so I am not doing as much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new sewing space, it looks light a spacious. Perfect. My own sewing space at the moment doubles as work at home office, not ideal but it could be worse.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...