Saturday 13 June 2020

Sewing for Boys

I hope you are all having a good weekend,  I have spent the last two afternoons making two jackets for my friend's boys.  They are my latest make from the burda  June issue, the sizing didn't go down small enough for the baby one so I have had to create my own pattern from a little jacket my friend dropped off.  I made the bigger jacket first then worried it was a tad too short so I have added a cuff to the bottom to give it extra length and it also now has four buttons not three.

I chose to line the jackets but they are not lined in the magazine, I also faced them my own way as the pattern just shows it as continuous piping.  Always I have to go off on my own way, I think you just find your own preference for doing things after time.


Oops I forgot to take another picture of the larger one with the amended hem, it just has a cuff like you have on a bomber jacket but in cotton.  That is the only difference a bit more a big boys jacket.


It has been some time since I have made things for my boys, also they always used to want dressing up clothes making of whatever the favourite character of the moment was.


If anyone has a good idea about the sizings relate to UK ages it would be helpful, I know all children are different but I find the height info an odd way of doing it.

The fabric for the jumpsuit has arrived so that is next, I just need to trace those pieces off, I did find that I ordered a coral button to go with the coral fabric and the colours are nothing like each other, possibly coral can cover a range of colour shades.

This evening I have been watching Goodbye Christopher Robin, it makes no sense to me how the upper class could be so far removed from their children.  You would think if they had missed out on time and attention from their parents they would be more determined to change things but no it appears it just passed through the generations.

Well that is all for now, take care everyone.






4 comments:

  1. Ive been sewing pyjamas for my 3 grandchildren - and it's amazing what I'd forgotten!! It's been at least 12 years since I've made small people clothes and I had to look up how long to cut the neck and sleeve ribbing! It has all come back though, now that I've finished them but I agree with doing things my own way. Sometimes new ways are better but sometimes the/my old way is easier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful, I have just finished jackets for boys too. Love the fabric you choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The jackets are wonderful and will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful, I hope they are loved by your friend's boys. Children's clothing sizes drive me mad. You are right that they are always done by height which is ridiculous. It does at least give you some idea of the length but it also assumes a standard length of legs and arms and a standard waist/chest measurement. At least buying online has got better and often you can find these measurements if you know where to look. All the things I have made for my children have been using a item of their clothing as a pattern rather than buying one!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...