Monday 8 April 2019

Wardrobe Fillers

Yesterday I managed to sew two t-shirts, I cut them both out at the same time and this is not something I usually do but may become part of my routine in future as it worked well.  I have said before that as I love patterned fabric  I have a few skirts that are quite hard to dress with.  This is because I rarely buy plain and therefore have very little in the way of plain tops to go with them.  This year that is changing however and I am filling the gaps so that everything goes with something.  That does not mean to say I won't be buying the lovely prints that I see but I will be making a conscious effort to ensure everything has a partner.
First up is this elbow length t-shirt in turquoise made with the same dress pattern I used for the black t-shirt a couple of weeks ago, I just lengthened the bodice on the dress.
The good thing about this colour is that I have three skirts that will go with it, so no pairing dilemmas there.

Now the next t-shirt is patterned  but only because the fabric is leftover from the dress that I made a couple of days ago.  This time I have gone for  a long sleeved version and it can be paired with a navy skirt that I own or of course my jeans.

I wonder if anyone else uses their patterns in this way to make multiple garments from them, after all patterns are just a series of shapes that we can manipulate however we want to make the clothes we like.
So looking at the image above the next step would be to make the skirt part without the top, just add a waistband.

The brighter weather today meant that I could get over to my mums to plant her some flowers then back to mine to plant up some pots.  There are still quite I few to do and I hope to get over to the local garden shop tomorrow to buy more compost, I am also hoping  my compost may be ready soon we have not looked in the bottom only the top as we add to it.  I have to say the top still looks quite gross, it has been about 10 months? Should we peek at the bottom?

I also made a trip to the library I collected Money a Love story and I'm pretty certain I have give up on this before, she started talking (bragging) about network marketing and I think I glazed over at that point once before.   I will persevere this time you never know there may be some wisdom in there.  I have nothing against that kind of marketing if it works for people but I just have memories of getting invited to candle parties, pampered chef, temple spa etc, etc. you sit there listening to presentations and giving up your evenings later to be expected to pay over the odds for products and you feel you should buy as you are a guest in peoples homes.

 I started to politely decline these things then one person who I knew (only in work) was offended when I didn't go to her party and even added on the response 'I thought it would cheer us all up and you are not coming.'  She didn't also add that point it was her daughters business and she was just starting out!  So yes I am a little jaded with the whole multi level marketing thing.

Right then rant over, the other books I picked up are The Summer of Impossible Things, Swing Time and In the Night Wood. I'm hoping to get stuck into those this week so I'll let you know how they pan out.

2 comments:

  1. I joined Me Made May one year and made a pledge to only make solid colour items to help my wardrobe work together and it worked really well. I use patterns in a multifunctional way but not always successfully. Yesterday I cut a jumpsuit from the Bettine top and and the trousers from my current jumpsuit but I am not sure how I am going to go to the toilet!!! Great makes.Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea to make solid colour tops - I too need to work on this to make my hand-made wardrobe work better together!
    Your new tops look great!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...