Saturday 13 April 2019

Simple Sew Dress

I have this lovely little pattern that is so easy to make up, this Simple sew pattern is actually for  a top but I had this piece of fabric I bought on sale a while ago and I thought it would make a lovely dress.  It has a nice drape to it and as the style of the top is a bit like a  kimono shape I thought they would go well together.
You can tie the tie front or back and here I have decided to cross it over at the back and tie it at the front.  I think I like it best this way.

To make the dress I simply cut the pattern pieces out a bit longer the only thing is with this pattern is that once you tie it and it wraps around your body there are obviously bits that hang down longer due to the width of the garment.  This is fine on the top I feel but on the dress I wanted it to look level once tied.  So I tied it on the mannequin and put pins where it was hanging down longer as a guide.  Then I lay it out flat and tapered it in with scissors following the pins, this just meant that I was taking a couple of cm off at each side seam decreasing towards the centre in a straight line.  Now when it is tied the hem is all level and it is not something you would be wearing untied so problem solved.

 Here is the before picture so you can see where the side pieces hang down longer when tied behind. I should have taken a picture while I was cutting it off but I didn't think at the time!  I was just set on rectifying the issue.  It would have been fine left alone I just have to faff. 

This fabric has a bit of a silky feel to it and that is lovely, however once I tried it on I noticed it is also really full of static.  Does anyone have any ideas how to combat this, I do wonder if it will either cling like crazy when I wear it or work its way up.

Here is one of the pieces to the pattern and there really are only a few of them. So easy and yet so nice. 

I finished reading Money A Love Story by Kate Northrup a couple of days ago, I have to say it didn't do much for me.  It is supposed to be motivational and helpful in terms of how we look at and view money and yet it just felt very self congratulatory.  The author mentions her mum wrote a best seller years ago, then she mentions this throughout the book and also did I mention her mum was on Oprah twice?  No well she does often!  I hate to be negative when someone has wrote a book as it is such an amazing thing to get one out there at all but parts of it just put me in a bad mood.  I think there is lots of good advice out there on blogs that is  more realistic and it doesn't have to involve shady  deals, network marketing or any other way of roping people in to pyramid selling schemes.

I plodded on  with the book as I like to finish things and there is always the possibility that you will gain something you didn't know before, and I did, that I am very happy with my way of doing things and it has served me well.  Spend way less than I earn and stay out of debt, no magic formula required!





6 comments:

  1. Your dress is just beautiful & I can see how lovely & drapey that fabric is. I just love your clothing makes. The only thing I can suggest is that you wear a petticoat or a half slip if the dress is full of static. I have one that is the same but I wear a half slip with it otherwise it just seems to cling to my legs all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fab dress, lovely style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colour and pattern of your fabric. I can't wear loose style clothing as it swamps me. I also have a static problem and I have a couple of skirts that cling if I wear tights, so a half or full slip works best. Silk is best, though expensive. Also some fabric softeners can help to prevent static cling. There is anti-static spray and air drying as opposed to tumble drying. Some work, some don't. Best, jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a nice kimono shape, it is very flattering. Your dress looks fab, love the fabric. I hope you can solve the problem with the static! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that style of dress and as usual you inspire me to have another go at sewing my own clothes. I just need to actually get off my bum and DO IT!! ha ha. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is lovely, the fabric is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...