Saturday 6 April 2019

Sewing for Summer

I received this fabric in the post while I was away on holiday so it was waiting for me when I got back.  I have to say I couldn't wait to get on with it but I did wash it first, I think I have learnt my lesson after a couple of favourites seem to have shrunk a little and it is entirely my fault for jumping straight in and not pre washing before cutting. I think the trick is in future is to just put it straight in the wash the minute it arrives!   So that is what I did, I chose a McCalls pattern this time and it is a fairly easy make but I do have to say the fabric is really slinky.   I will share more on that later as this is for a Minerva post, there is also a large piece left so I will be making another long sleeved t-shirt as well.  For now here is a peak of the dress...


It is so good to be feeling more my usual self, as I mentioned we have been away for the week on holiday but unfortunately we have been ill.  I started before we went away and my husband has had a bad cold, we came home early on Thursday in need of a good sleep in our own bed.   I don't think we ever really sleep the same on holiday and on this occasion the bed was just too soft for us, I tend to get back ache on a soft mattress, so couple that with being ill and we had just had enough.  Never mind we have a week away booked in the summer to Wales, lets hope we fair better then.  It also snowed while we were there, I don't really think April offers much in the way of spring weather any more.
This was a view from our bedroom window while we were away, not looking very spring like at all!

A view from the car as we were travelling home.  We stayed in Allendale Northumberland, we have been before and it is a lovely little town.

Last night I made some underwear using leftover bits of jersey, they came out really well and I am going to make some more as there are other random bits of jersey knocking about that will do the trick.  It is cotton jersey so just right and I didn't use any elastic just the stretchy facings I made to go around the legs and top.  I could do with ordering some stretchy lace in various colours to finish them off nicely though.  For this pair I had some regular lace in mint so I have just used that.

I suppose I really should just make a pattern for these but I end up just getting a pair out of the drawer and cutting around those, it seems to work for me. 







5 comments:

  1. Love the fabric for the underwear, such a pretty pattern. Sorry to hear you had to come back early from your break away. Hope a good nights sleep helped and you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame you weren't able to enjoy your holiday :( A warm spell in February and snow in April! The weather's topsy-turvy! We have a firm orthopaedic mattress and don't sleep well on soft mattresses either. Your dress looks fabulous!! I can sew, but not well enough to make clothes. I like the idea of making underwear though. I'm very short and slim, but I do have a bit of tushy and getting knickers that fit well is really hard. Best, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought a mixed bag of elastic from Abakhans (there is a shop near me but you could use the website) metres and metres of knicker elastic for £1.25. maybe worth a look. Those undies look great. So Zo has a free pattern on her website too. Have a better week. I spotted your skirt ont he Minerva newsletter - looks interesting, off to have a better look. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go and have a look at that elastic now. I love your pyjamas on the newsletter you have made a few pairs now you must have quite a supply. I think it's Sewing Angela who has a skirt on the newsletter this time, we do have similar hair. I'm on a mission this week to catch up on sewing, I do love school holidays ;) x

      Delete
  4. Your undies look fabulous, I've never tried making my own.
    I like to wash my fabric straight away so I don't get too excited and decide to just cut it out and risk it! It's just hard waiting for it to dry though!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...