Saturday 14 July 2018

Another Shift Dress

The dress I made today is from the free New Look pattern I got with Sew magazine last month. It is very similar to the scuba dress I made but I have added patch pockets to the front on this one and made the sleeves short.  As  I was feeling very hot I let the mannequin do the modelling for me today.

This dress is in  a thick jersey from Minerva crafts that I bought last month and it will be saved for cooler days.  I have been making lots of summery things and what I find is the weather will turn cooler and my wardrobe is not prepared.  So I am trying to stay ahead by planning for those days in advance this year.
This pattern actually comes out a really good fit and it is easy to make up, quite relaxing sewing with no hiccups.  I can see it will get used a lot due to the simplicity of it .

As you can see the pockets on mine are just made up, I just decided on a size and tried them on the dress. When I was happy with the placement I stitched them down.

I think because this dress is plain the pockets add a little detail but the pattern does give you the option to add the strips with buttons.

Last week I started a top from another free pattern but I used a white crepe, I have decided that I don't like the crepe, there is something about the feel of it.  Also the white was really see through to the point where you would have to wear something under it. This was never my intention so this annoyed me, so coupled with the feel of it I got close to finishing it and then just stopped.  I did like the detail on the front of the top so I will try again another day in a better fabric choice.

For the last few weeks I have been taking part in a future learn course Sustainable Futures, it is really interesting and I have been able to follow up on lots of links from fellow learners, about different charities combatting food waste, alternative energy and various community projects dealing with homelessness. I have done courses with them before and I think it is great that these free resources are there for us to use.

I have purchased a compost bin (second hand) my husband has been busy this morning adding mesh to the bottom so the vermin can't get in, I hope that works!  He  said if he sees any it's going. Lots of people use them so it must be ok?  If you have one and are having a problem let me know with any tips or advice.

The tomatoes are just starting to ripen, I have stood and ate a few there in the greenhouse, there seems to be a pattern emerging with me doing that with the food. Some of it may find it's way the kitchen.

These yellow ones are super sweet, I am going to plant more of those ones next year. 

1 comment:

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...