Wednesday 17 February 2021

Spring Sewing

 I know it is not spring yet but I am optimistic that it is not too far away, also don't you get fed up with having to think how warm a fabric will be before you buy it I know I do although there are still a few warm makes in the pipeline.  I am however determined to start making things for the warmer days to come and if you remember last year in the UK that came quite early.  So with that in mind here is my first spring dress, a little different to what I usually make but that is a good thing, I am trying to make a few different styles as we all get stuck in our ways with our sewing sometimes and work with the same tried and trusted patterns.  I think a part of that is that we don't want to risk our precious new fabric on a style that will not suit us.  I also feel like you get to a certain age a feel you know what suits you best but of course that can also mean we stop being as adventurous.  


I love the fabric and all the little details of this dress, the piping is made from scrap shirting, I did look at buying some in a lilac shade but it didn't look as if it would show up very well as it was very pale.  I decided to make my own and of course it is always useful for using up all those little bits of fabric.


I was lucky that this fit as I did not allow seam allowances on the pattern cutting!   How can I have made so many Burda magazine dress makes and not know to add seam allowance.  Anyhow it all came good in the end.  The pattern stated snap fasteners on the cuffs but I chose to add buttons and button holes.

The most challenging part of this make was getting all the piping to line up in all the right places, so as you can imagine it was unpicked a few times.  Also the concealed zip not like all the bulk where the piping and central bodice part is so you have to take extra care when unzipping.  It tends to go up easier than it comes down.


So just last week I was making hats and now I am onto the light wear, you have to look ahead.  that said there are some plants I bought a few weeks ago when I was feeling optimist still sat on the windowsill.  We had to keep them in to shelter form the frost it is supposed to get warmer so I am hoping to plant them out.  I also bought myself some rainbow carrot seeds so that will be interesting.

I am currently reading The Glass Woman. I ordered it from the library and I have really enjoyed it, I only started it at the weekend and I am close to finished, put it on your to read list.  Historical fiction set in Iceland so something a little different.

Well bye for now and take care everyone.

 


3 comments:

  1. Tu vestido es una preciosidad y el detalle a contraste del ribete de una camisa queda genial. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is so gorgeous, a wonderful pattern and wonderful fabric. Well done. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful. I do love a bit of piping, it looks so perfect. Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...