Monday 25 January 2021

A Crochet Hat

 I finished the crochet hat this week, as I mentioned last week I am not very fast at this so it was just a case of doing a little each evening.  I didn't follow a pattern although I did see an image I liked and that has three coloured striped so that is what I aimed for.  It was also made up as a flat piece and then gather at the top so perhaps not how may of you would do it but like I mentioned I was just making it up as I went.  The colours look well together and they are just odd bits I had from a few years ago, my main hassle was making the pom pom!  Oh my I have not made a pom pom in so long and the way I remember it with two pieces of card did not come out right, then I tried it around my hand and that was big and messy so finally I settled on a fork as I saw this on you tube.  Now there was still unravelling when I came to tie it but I did get a shape that is not too bad.  I know you can get pom pom tools, are they any good? The thing is I don't feel I will be making enough to warrant a special tool, I have started another hat though as I found the process very relaxing.(Apart form the pom pom! ;)

I didn't plan on matching my hat today it just happened. 


It had a road test when we went for a walk yesterday and it did keep my head warm, so that is the main thing.  I am sure it could be neater but I have not had as much practise with this skill.

There was some more baking yesterday in the form of cake, I did say I wanted to try a new cake each week so we will see how  long it takes me to run out of reasonable bakes.  I say this because the ingredient lists for some cakes are ridiculous and would cost a fortune to make, I am also not a fan when they state about three different sugars in a recipe in large quantities.  Cake is a sweet treat yes but I don't like sickly sweet.

So the recipe I chose to try out this week was from one of my Aine Carlin books The New Vegan, now the cake is called gluten free Orange Polenta cake but that went out the window straight away as Asda did not have any polenta and an assistant saying they had never heard of it and don't have it but I have had it there from before! So they do have it just not that day, so the first substitute was coconut (Ok it is nothing like polenta but I thought I would try it anyway)  Then they had no agave so that was quickly changed to maple syrup.  On the whole my changes worked just fine and I still followed the recipe but I have to admit to halving the sugar, we are so used to less sugar now none of us would be able to  eat it with the stated amount in.  The cashew frosting worked out super too and I might add looks very pretty with the pistachios.  In all it feels like a very posh coffee shop cake that I would normally not be able to eat because they never have gf vegan and this one is so it is one of my prouder bakes.   As usual fading daylight in the photo's and lets face it I am never going to be a food photographer. 





Another job for the weekend was finishing up this bag, again this is continuing the folk art inspiration.  It is actually based on a doodle on my notepad from some art I saw on pinterest but with a few changes and bits left out.  Sewing everything down is the most time consuming bit.  I think these ones are a little bit quirky so I hope they appeal to someone, I certainly like quirky so lets pray that others feel the same or I will have one large handbag collection.


I hope you are all well and have a good week ahead, bye for now. 


9 comments:

  1. Un gorro bonito que ya has disfrutado, como seguro que has disfrutado de ése rico pastel, hummmmm....... y el bolso es interesante. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias, un pastel es muy delicioso un favorito hasta hora.

      Delete
  2. I like your hat. I find it more difficult to wrap my head around creating something three dimensional with crochet than doing the same with knitting. I used to love making pompons! Always with two circles of card with a hole in the middle. I just notice that we have used the same fabric for a garment. I think you might be wearing a dress? I have a t-shirt made with this very fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one I am wearing is a long sleeved top, it is quite a warm fabric and it washes well too. I made the pattern up as I often do. You do some amazing knitting it always looks a bit complex for me.

      Delete
  3. Poundland had some pom pom makers in various sizes. I used to make them using two carboard circles with hole in the centre with the girls. That brought back some nice memories. You have done a great job on the hat. I loved the bag, so unusual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I too remember making the pom poms as a child I don't know why they were not as quick as I remember. I will have to perfect my technique ;) x

      Delete
  4. I think the cake looks delicious and your hat is wonderful, a perfect fit! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great hat, the colours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Get you with the crochet hook! Looks great. Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...