Wednesday 28 October 2020

Kitchen Make-over

 Well I have achieved my main goal for this week so even if we didn't get to go any where at least my kitchen looks a bit fresher.  I bought this paint a while ago after much searching online for just the right one, it was difficult because people seem to have varied results with all of the cupboard paints.  I have used Wilko furniture in the past for my other projects but a lot of people were not happy with that on actual kitchen units.  I eventually decided on the Johnstone's cupboard paint as it had a lot of good reviews and people had also posted pictures to go with them.

I opted for just painting the doors and leaving all the frames in the wood effect, I thought this would  not only make it look a bit different from all the many grey kitchens that I am sure are out there but also give us options.  The first option being that if the paint does not hold up too well then we can still just change the doors without having to go for a complete new kitchen or even if just our tastes change in a few years we could just redo the doors again in another shade.


That was the first one I took last night when just finished, I changed the handles a little while ago and I have to say they look much better now with the grey.


A daylight shot of the grey, I am wondering whether I should go for a lighter flooring now or is that just a bad idea in winter with three dogs?


I may now make a blind for the window just to finish it off, we don't usually have anything up there as I took the last one down and it was never closed.  It could just finish off the room though.


I did two coats with a good  four hours in between, you wash the cupboards down with sugar soap then paint, no other prep.  So time will tell if that was enough, some people have suggested you can give the whole lot a coat of clear matt varnish over the top for extra protection while others say that slightly alters the shade.  I am very happy with the shade so I think I will leave it alone for now.

We have been optimistic and booked a holiday in the caravan for next summer, we enjoyed Anglesey so much last year we thought we would go there again.  That is when they eventually let us northerners out!  There were quite a few nice sites dotted around that looked interesting so when things are looking up we will have to try a few.

So that's all for now, take care.







4 comments:

  1. Your kitchen looks amazing! I really love the color of the cabinets. It looks so fresh and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and the paint is holding up well so far even though the dogs have jumped up at them a number of times! It feels like a new kitchen.

      Delete
  2. Your kitchen looks like a new one, I painted my kitchen cupboards about 10 years ago with Wilko own brand paint, I do have a few 'scratch' marks around the handles now but the paint I originally used is discontinued. How about putting a pelmet at your kitchen window instead of a full blind that may never get used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've come over from Meredith because I love to sew, to create and to recycle myself. You have a lovely kitchen with the sink in front of the window. Your idea to just paint the cabinet doors is very wise.

    All the best

    Regula

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...