Thursday 2 January 2020

A New Year, Making, Reading and Doing

Happy new year to you all and I hope you had an enjoyable Christmas and new year, I know I did but mine was probably a little different to many. We are not people who like to go out to pubs or host parties but we enjoy what we do and that is the key I think in having a good time, do what you enjoy and not what the season dictates.   I may have mentioned before Christmas that we were having and unconventional Christmas day this year, we chose to go out for the day to Derwentand and Ladybower and have a long walk with the dogs.  We took flasks, snacks and cake and had a lovely time, I have to say the weather was wonderful so that really made it.  When we got back later I made Chinese and spring rolls followed by Christmas pudding (my one concession, we couldn't leave that out!).  Being out somewhere scenic with the dogs is a favourite thing to do so what better way to spend the day, here are a few images.



 It was starting to get dark in this one but I loved the light and the moody image.

 Derwent dam

This was one of the first images and the sun was shining when we set off.

It was actually amazing how many people were there, we struggled to get parked, it seemed our idea was not so different after all.  The dogs were slowing down on the way back and that is a good sign a good walk has been had, our dogs take some tiring. 

We had a family meal with  our mums round to our house a few days before Christmas so we still had a traditional get together with them, I know sometimes people don't like others to change traditions so we didn't want to upset anyone. People do say well you can do what you want but there is that underlying tone sometimes of 'but why are you doing that?' well not even a tone actually, people did say it, well because we want to is the answer.

Yesterday for New years day we went off again this time to Dam Flask and once again the whole world and their dogs were there, more understandable this time I feel and I do wonder if new years resolutions had something to do with that.  There were quite a few runners there too, we got filthy and I had to bath all three dogs when we got back, still it was a lovely walk.

I have been reading quite a bit both on and off line, I bought myself The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan but I bought the children's version simply because it is such a beautifully illustrated book.  I have read it but now I have ordered the full adult version from the library as I feel I have missed much information (the full version is quite long).  This may seem like an odd thing to do but I love illustrated books and the work that goes into them so this was a Christmas present to myself.
 It also has artistic maps of the ancient world throughout, if you have young people at home I highly recommend it, or buy it for yourself like I did.

 Here a re just a few examples but these photos don't so it justice, the artist is Neil Packer.


I have also just read Everthing Under by Daisy Johnson and this book was very well written and had me hooked but it is not a feel good book.  In fact I have come away from it feeling a bit unsettled for all the characters concerned. It gives a detailed account of two unconventional families one of which lives on the water in a canal boat for a large part of the story and the apartness of living on the outskirts of society.  Of course there is a link so I won't spoil that in case you want to read it, there is quite a shocking twist too, give it a read but I would describe it as edgy and certainly not uplifting.


Sewing wise I have been making more bags, I have a little routine now where I have an idea and cut out my pieces ready the day before even if I don't have time to sew straight away.   It reminds me of a story The Elves and the Shoemaker, he cut out the pieces and laid them neatly on the counter before going to bed, in the morning were beautifully stitched shoes, and the stitches were small and even.  Well no little elves are coming to make my bags for me, and where would be the fun in that but it does however keep the momentum going.  I have had ideas in the past and then never got around to making them up, this way it is cut and ready and I just need to get on, once I start I am lost in it anyway  so getting the cutting out of the way is a really good trick.



Jo at Three stories High gifted me the middle floral section on this one I enjoy trying to use the pieces in as many different creations as I can.

Here are the next pieces cut out for the elves or just me!  Quite a few recycled bits here too, the red floral fabric is from a £1 charity shop top, the plum pieces are old chinos used for stability.

I have joined a facebook group on going deeper too, if any of you read the Raptitude blog you might have heard of this but it is about mastering things you already know a little about, loving what you have and revisiting things.  A good choice I think, mainly it is posts from different people sharing how they are doing that but a nice change from the usual facebook feed I think.   I will be revisiting my language learning with the materials I already have, developing more skills in pattern making and continuing my exercise from home.  These are just a few but I am never bored there is always so much to do and I have never been able to understand anybody who states they are bored.   

I look forward to seeing what everyone is making and doing in the coming year, but for now I am off there is so much to do,  take care.


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful fabrics. Wishing you and yours a wonderful New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bags are wonderful! Lovely photos of your walk too. There's nothing like a good, bracing walk to start the New Year. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year. Your new bags are just beautiful as is everything you make. I have been reading quite a bit too this festive season. Its nice to lose yourself in a good book. Have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the best for 2020 - keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wore the floral trousers I made with the floral fabric only today and then I visit your blog - How strange! You have made good use of them. Happy sewing. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bags are beautiful, I love the idea of the elves and the shoemaker method for sewing. I used to LOVE that story when I was little. I'm going to give that a try for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...