Thursday 16 January 2020

A Charity Shop Bargain and a Few Makes

We haven't been very far this last few weeks it is that sort of weather that keeps you close to home, walks with the dogs and local but that has been about it.  I am looking forward to spring days but realise that is a way off yet!

Last week we had a look in the local charity shop St Lukes, and I found a pair of men's Levi jeans that are an excellent colour.  They are size 30 waist and 32 leg, my husband said they were nice but the leg was way too narrow for him but at £3.00 they were too good to miss.  I decided to buy them and size them down for myself.  It can be quite tricky to size down jeans due to all the bulk but I went slowly, walked the foot over the really thick parts and hand stitched the back belt loop back on.  There really was no way my domestic  Toyota machine was going over that many layers of denim despite it being the model suitable for denim and heavy weight! ( I sometimes wonder about that description)

Here they are with the sides and back unpicked, I then took a chunk in the shape of  a triangle out of each area.  I tried them first then guessed it but if you have not done this before you should pin, measure how much needs to come out but allow for your seams.  I have done this before so I am quite ok at guessing by just pinching here and there.   I am a size 8 ladies and only 5ft 4 so I also had to take them up a little.

They are low slung so only sit above the hips, I took them in right under to the crotch so they would fit correctly on the bottom.


I am really pleased with them, repurposed for me, it has saved me buying a new pair in future and I enjoyed the process, win, win.   I also found some more 'like new' children's  books that I use for prizes for some of the children I  work with, I like that if we look after things and pass them on they can be enjoyed again and again.  Just today I gave out Hansel and Gretel  as a prize and as we have been reading a version of this only this week the recipient looked very pleased.

Earlier this week I finished  a sweater top which is a Minerva make, I just need to do the write up for that and take some photographs of me in it.  The problem I am having at this time of year as ever is getting good daylight shots as when I get home it is dark, so I am waiting for the weekend and hoping for good light.

This is a bit far away from my usual fitted styles but I thought  I would try something new,   The sleeves are really wide so I will have to see how I get on wearing it day to day as it may be bulky under coats, we will see.    There will be a full write up and pattern details on Minerva at some time in the future.  I am wearing it tomorrow so I will have a better idea of wearability, it will be warm because it is a thick jersey.

At the moment I am toying with the idea of making a matching little tube skirt as there is a piece left and it may just do it.  If I go with it I will share next week.

There were quite a few books returned to the library this week along with 'Melmoth' and I really enjoyed that, so much so that I picked up  'After Me Comes the Flood also by Sarah Perry,   after enjoying the Essex Serpent too I thought I  would give this one a try.  I also ordered Stretch by Tilly Walnes as I have been watching a vlog where she made the whole book in a month (six patterns) I am not sure I want to make all of them as one is maybe not my style but it would be fun to try a few I thought.   I am second in the wait list so it may be a few months yet until I get it.

Of course I have to share a few of my latest bags, the foxy one was a custom order for a colleague and the other just an idea I had for using up oddments.



Just this week I have found a new current favourite song, it is Phil Wickham Secret Place, I love it go on over and have a listen if you have a minute.

I'm off now have a good week and take care.

1 comment:

  1. That charcoal top is just right for this season - I can imagine it looking super smart/casual with a matching skirt. I have never altered jeans (except for waistband tucks and taking up legs) - last year I bought a very pretty but practical T shirt top from Millet’s sale at rock bottom price because it was the only one left and far too big for me, but managed to alter that and wore it to death last summer! Jeans look a bit more complicated!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...