Tuesday 28 May 2019

Scrap Busting T-Shirt

This make today was a bit spur of the moment, I started looking through my odd scraps of fabric to design a new bag and then saw a charity shop t-shirt I bought for the fabric and another scrap in the same colours.  I instantly thought they should go together to make a new item and set about cutting up the t-shirt.  It has been in that cupboard for about a year and a half, I remember thinking what did I buy this for? Well again it was another thing  just waiting for inspiration, I have to say I love the work of Marlies Witjes at Made by Liesl. She is always finding inventive ways to use up every last bit of fabric and her bomber jackets are a work of art!  So this little project today was inspired by her work.
It is all jersey fabric so it will be comfy to wear, I do find I end up wearing the jersey items more than anything after all we all want to be comfortable.  The piece on the pocket is scuba from a dress I made a while ago.  I am so pleased with result I have been having another look to see what else can be cobbled together but nothing else is jumping out in the same way.  Also a lot of the bits I have clash or would be too busy together.

The make was easy I just cut the bottom off  the  existing charity shop t-shirt  then cut up the sides as well.  I lay the top part on the fabric to make the shape for the top half of the t-shirt and just cut grown on cap sleeves.
As you can see here the top of the original t-shirt was a bit fussy, it also had a tie that went around the waist.

When I have the top part cut I always fold it in half to check it is the same on both sides, I also had to do a bit of trimming on the bottom so that the pattern was level.  The pocket I just guessed and cut a shape, I hemmed that first then pinned it on before stitching it to the shirt front.


I almost forgot to mention that I made some binding for the neck with another bit of leftover jersey, I cut that so the embossed strip was laying horizontal not lengthways in the biding pieces.  The idea was it would be folded to the wrong side but it looked good showing so I topstitched it to stand up.
A good fun make I think and a bit of reuse, recycle in there too.  I will have to get to that bag idea later.

One thing I have decided in light of reading Atomic Habits is that I will have set days for blogging. After a bit of thought I have decided on Tuesday and Friday starting this week, I know that because I have committed to it I am more inclined to stick to it.  There was also a comment that James Clear made about his own  blog and that was to just show up and post, and also that often he would put off because he didn't feel things were perfect but the act of getting something out there keeps the momentum going.  He worded it better than that but you get the  idea, I'm not sure how this works when on holiday but I will deal with that at the time. 









4 comments:

  1. That's a fun make! Reminds me of the daughter's favourite tops when she was little, she loved anything that had a mix of patterns and colours. Blogging on schedule, quite a thought. I'll be interested to hear how it works for you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great make, you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! I can only sew by hand. I love how you've combined the 2 t-shirts. I have a Brother LS14 machine gathering dust, but it was a spur of the moment buy and has never really been used. It's a shame really. Best, Jane :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative idea to mix and match the fabrics and produce such a unique tee! It looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...