Sunday 4 November 2018

Burda Trousers and Sewing a Pocket Welt

This week has been lovely and relaxing, a few things made, books read and these Burda trousers finished off.  I don't know why but I had them near completion about two weeks ago and then they just sat there waiting to be finished off.  My husband thinks they are a little busy but I like them, there is no point making your  own clothes if they all look the same, change is good.
My husband did point out that you can't see the details because of the pattern and he does have a point so I have taken a few close ups so you can see the pockets and belt loops.
I actually have two buttons on the back pockets that are not exactly the same, they are the same colours but slightly different. I'm ok with that.
I did have to make the seams a bit larger on this pattern as it starts from a size 10 also once I had alsmost finished and was about to put the waistband on I had to alter that at the sides and back too.
I chose to put a button and button hole at the front although the pattern suggested a bar and catch, I prefer and feel more secure with a button as I've had trouser with that sort of fastener and they can come undone.
The fabric is lovely and soft and was bought along with the pattern from Minerva Crafts, after trying these on I may have to make some more for the winter.
One thing I thought I would mention is the way the welt pockets at the back are created, on the pattern you are instructed to cut tow small pieces for the inner vents and that is not the way I do it so here is my way.

I just cut one rectangle and stitch it over the marked points on the pieces. Put  a piece of interfacing over it first  then cut out your little letter box opening.
 Next you push it all through then arrange the folds so they feel even and hold them at the sides ( this manipulation gets easier with practise so have a go on a few  scraps first.
Flip it over at the sides and you can put your fingers on the little triangle bit, it does get easier the more you do it.
Then machine stitch it, you may find you want to stich all the way around to maintain an even width or you can just do that part when you add the back of the pocket.



I hope that is clear enough I just find it easier than messing about with two pieces. This may have been explained by  me before on here when I have been making skirts, so if you have seen it before I apologise for repeating myself but without going back through and checking I can't remember!

I also made another pair of fingerless mittens for my younger son in grey and I have just started on a cowl. It looks a bit narrower than I thought so I made add an edging once it's complete so any suggestions welcome.

Friday we had a browse in the charity shops and I found this super book...
It was only  £1.50 and is full of recipes, places to see, tips for camp sites, days out and all kinds of camping information.  Plus many vegetarian recipes or ones that can be easily adapted.
The book is also divided into seasons and this recipe above is from the winter section, I may have to try that one.  I was going to take a few more shots then the battery went dead, photo overload for today.

Back to work tomorrow so that will interfere with my making time :(  I have decided I am going get up a little earlier each day to fit a bit of something in before I go to work, as I have to be there for 7.30 on Monday this may be a push put even if it just a row or two of crochet or a few stiches on something it will be a start.   I will keep you posted.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, these trousers are so fab. Amazing welt pockets. I am yet to pluck up the courage to make one of those - it's on my long list of things I want to learn how to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a gorgeous fabric, beautifully made.

    http://www.henatayeb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one thing I love about handmade clothes is that you never look like everyone else who all seem to go to the same shops. Love the trousers! xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good pattern. You are one step away from a pair of jeans there! Your tutorial is really good and the details make the trousers. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh those trousers look amazing! Well done on sewing something that looks so complicated to me! Love the fabric you have used also. Thanks so much for your visit to my blog & the lovely comment you left me. Julie Xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...