Friday 23 November 2018

Juliette Blouse and a Few Frugal Bits

My make for this week was the Juliette Blouse from simple sew pattern I was gifted by a friend.  I originally looked at this and thought the shape looked too basic for it to hang very well, however I was wrong.  Very pleasantly surprised when I tried this on after completing it and now I think this pattern will get much use. It is easy to make up so perfect for any beginners and comes together with the ties so no too much to worry about in terms of fitting.
No pictures of me in it I'm afraid as it is cold and I don't want to go and change, get the tripod etc. So you will have to make do with my model here doing the work for me. I think I will layer this for this season with a long sleeved t-shirt underneath, I do that a lot!
It is quite a floaty feel to it so I would imagine there a re lots of suitable fabrics for this style, I think it would look nice in a linen.
So that is three of the free patterns that I have made up to now and I have been happy with all of them, feeling pleased my friend thought of me before her trip to the charity shop.

This morning I have double lined a curtain that I have hanging at the back door, my intention is to thermal line all my curtains as the lining on them is quite thin apart from the ones I made myself which are good and heavy.  When I moved in at this house we had such a large floor to ceiling window in the back room I just bought inexpensive curtains as it was cheaper than buying fabric. Also the window takes two pairs of curtains, they do the job but I am currently out to make every window as insulated as possible in the evenings, what with rising costs.  

 I have noticed that Dunelm Mill do ready made thermal linings which are inexpensive, so I am off tomorrow to go and have a look at those.  In the meantime today I found a large, lined cream curtain in a cupboard, so I took down my curtain at the door in my sewing area and pinned then stitched it to it.  I needed to take it up a little and I gathered it in to the pleats, now it is good and heavy and that is one curtain done for free!  

We have had a couple of leaks about the house this last couple of weeks, fortunately my husband is quite handy and managed to sort them without the need for outside trades people.  One of the leaks persisted and we then watched a YouTube video that highlighted one little thing that had been missed, the part was bought and now that issue is resolved.  So watch videos before splashing out on repairs even if you still have to call someone, at least you may be aware of the simplicity of the problem so that you don't get charged a fortune for a reasonably simple job. 

My next job is I have a blouse to cut out for my mum as this will be  a gift for her, then a couple of little gifts.  The trouble with that is I won't be able to share the little gifts until later due to spoilers!  I will share my mum's blouse though as she knows about it and will want to wear it over Christmas.  

Another little frugal discovery I have made is a pot of foundation I found in my cupboard, the colour was all wrong when I bought it but I didn't get rid of it as I hate waste. I got it out this morning and mixed a little with my usual plus some moisturiser to make a sort of tinted moisturiser, it works!  That will make my usual stuff last twice as long, I would love to go bare faced and to be honest I probably don't look much different but I know so that's the thing.  I was researching natural ingredients to use instead this week, coconut for moisturiser and so on.  The trouble is some sources say it can cause acne so we don't want that do we? Shea butter and argan oil were  also mentioned, plus the use of some spices to make blusher and so on, if anyone has any experience of trying these natural cosmetics please share. 



7 comments:

  1. That is a lovely shape - does it go with your funky trousers? Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, that was the reason for buying the fabric. x

      Delete
  2. Its amazing the difference having a good lined curtain makes. I have just changed mine and it really does ake a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blouse looks lovely and comfortable and is getting me thinking about trying to sew some clothes again. I love YouTube for minor repairs around the house. It's saved us plenty of money in the past. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new blouse .... a friend visited me at the Craft Fair & she was wearing something very similar. She sews her own clothes also. How wonderful that it was a free pattern. I wanted to say, I loved the cowl you made in your last post also. Thank you for your visit to my blog & the lovely comment you left me ... I have become your newest follower! Julie Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great idea to line your curtains to trap in the heat and what a lucky find to have one in your cupboard that fits!
    The blouse looks lovely such a good drape too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...