Sunday 12 August 2018

Mini Cowl Neck Top for £2.30!

I didn't buy the fabric in todays post to make a top, in fact it was only supposed  to be the detail part at the top of a dress, however after realising the piece was bigger than I thought it seemed a shame for it to not feature on its own.  I would like to be able to state exactly what it is but as ever I didn't check the bolt for details other than price, georgette maybe? heavier than chiffon but still with a slight transparency.  It was £4.60 a metre and I only bought half a metre so the piece only cost me £2.30, I already had cotton and a small amount of white bias binding from a previous project so no extra supplies were required.

I may add I am wearing jogging bottoms under the top in this photo so not the best way to show it off!

Small piece of binding proved just enough.
It was loose to begin with but my husband suggested I take it in a little at the waist, once I did that I had to take it in a bit more further down also as it had too much of a defied in and out shape.
It is still loose enough at the bottom to be worn over things (preferably not jogging bottoms)  but would also look ok tucked in.

I cut around another top I made recently, my cap sleeved green one as it is comfy to wear and all I did to create the mini cowl effect was to double over the fabric at the front and make it wider slightly at the top.  Then I pinned the shoulder to the back pieces and just let the front fall down then pinned all of it to check how it would look on the mannequin. 
I have found draping and pinning things on here really useful when I have an idea of something to make.  Of course there is no substitute for trying things on yourself but it can be tricky to pin if you are just playing around with an idea.




When I was happy with how  that looked I just stitched my binding to the neck of the back, overlocked the bottom of the fold on the front inside then overlocked it all together.  The good thing with this style was that there was no extra finishing of the front neckline as the fabric was folded over inside.  I also allowed enough on the inside fold so that it comes right down past where the bra is on the front so should I choose to wear it without a white camisole it is not see though. 

As you can see here it is folded over at the top.  (Yes that top has been worn!  I had to retrieve it form the wash to make this one)

This was quite a quick make and did not require a pattern, if you have a non stretch top to copy from why not give it a try? Just two piece front and back with a fold over at the front, enough bias binding to do that back neck and that is it.  If you have an oddment of fabric or maybe an old sheet you could try it first on that.

4 comments:

  1. A very pretty top and made at a bargain price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabric and seems such a bargain at £2.30. You are one talented lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so clever, I love the drapy neckline. What an absolute bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have stitched a fabulous top! Love the pattern and the fabric is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...