Saturday 28 July 2018

A New Take on an Old Pattern

This dress I am sharing today is from a pattern that I have had for years, I originally made for a work Christmas party about eleven years ago.  I remember this well as my youngest had started school and I was back working in the day out of the home (I worked form home for a few years before that) so a night out was a bit exciting.  I made it back then in red satin, which thinking about it now seems a bit over the top but oh well I was happy with it at the time.

I used more of my lucky dip fabric bag  fabric for this, this time a lightweight cotton but I chose to line the skirt and do the bodice double. I also added a twist by using a contrasting centre panel in a print. If you have read this blog before you will have seen this cherry fabric pop up in all  sorts of things, and it still keeps going, it is becoming a bit like 'where's Wally' lurking in every project!
I had to add a couple of darts to the front of the wrap pieces as well as little gathers, this style on me just does not stay put otherwise, I also pulled the straps quite snug also to save it gaping.


This is the pattern I used I wonder if anyone else has this pattern?

So yes I finished that yesterday and today it rained so it could be my fault, but we did need it after all.
Today I also bought two zips so I can continue making up the rest of the fabric but I also bought a remnant that was sitting on the counter just waiting for me.  The girl was just about to staple a price to it when I asked how much and how long it was, '£4 for two metres' so I came away with that too. Why not?

Another bit of good news today I manged to get my over locker blades in the correct position , they had not been cutting correctly since I changed them.  After watching a youtube video it is working perfectly  so I am  quite pleased about that, another job completed without having to pay someone else is always a bonus.

2 comments:

  1. It is a nice shape on you. I have heavier 'farmers arms' so I wouldn't choose it but on a petite frame it looks lovely. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks lovely, I like the contrast fabric.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...