Tuesday 30 May 2023

Quilt Finished

 Hello everyone.  I am pleased to say I have finished my patchwork quilt that I have been working on for some time.  Now this is not an expert job as I know some of you are quilters out there and this is not my usual thing but I am happy with how it turned out.  In the end I went with straight lines for the quiltingand I ended up doing it by hand after starting it on the machine as it was very bulky.  It reminded me of when I used to work in a factory sewing taupalins but then we had very large machines and very long benches.  The border around the edge is just a polycotton with little daisies on, currentlyit is on my bed over the origianl duvet so in the winter it can be an extra layer but in the summer I thought perhaps just a sheet under it?  Well here it is...



So there is a bit of everything in there, minerva fabrics leftover scraps, shirts, a few craft cotton scraps I bought for bags and someof the gifted fabric from the bag I was given by a friend.  The backing is also out of the gifted bag of remnants, it was a large blue and white piece I just had to put a join down one side. My husbamd looked at it and said 'yes very busy'.

The next thing I did was to remake this Burda top that I have made before.  Now it is oversized but I have worn my other version quite a lot so I thought I would use up this leftover piece of inky grove jersey on this.


It is one of the cool tops that doesn't cling and in the summer I think it is good to have loose fitting clothes, then in the winter I want it all snug and tucked in. 

This week I was given a big bag of Rhubard, my husband has been insisiting he doesn't like it but i said I would do soemthing good with it, so I made a Rhubarb and Custard cake.  Now I saw the name of this recipe but couldn't make anything like the one I saw as it had, eggs and milk, wheat alsorts in it.  So I just made up my own GF vegan version and it came out fabulous.  I did roast the rhurb first beofre adding in layers to the cake.


It tastes good so that is most important and yes, my husband did like it.

Last Friday we made the most of the lovely weather and had a day at Knaresborough, it is only an hour away and such a pretty place.  We didn't eat there but we did stop outside a pub for a drink, had a lovely walk around the castle and along the river.




In other news I am trying to get back into the decluttering mode, I have taken quite a lot of things out of my sewing room in terms of scraps and old clothes that I was going to revamp.  There is only so much we can hang on to and it is very hard when you create fabric waste as part of your job but are trying to be as green as you can be.  I send back, rehome or use all the items I make but the scraps continue to plague me.  I had a big trip to the charity shop and finally got rid of some greek style vases and decorative paltes from years ago, I was a bit attatched but never had them on display so it was time for them to go.  The latest thing has been that I have bought a few books from charity shops over recent months.  That doesn't sound like much however I usually always get them from the library and just recently I have been having that 'I like to own the book'  feeling, now that is something I have got over in the past and I tend to just keep a small selection on my bookcase.  Really I need to reming myself that once I have read it, it just sits there gathering dust and go back to getting them from the library.

There is a lady on youtube and her channel is 'a to zen'  she messes about quite a bit but has a lot on decluttering.  Now I wouldn't want to have a bare home that just isn't me although I am trying to strip things back a little, especially in cupboards, I am terrible at shoving things in cupboards that could go!

Well I hope you are having a super week and I'll be back soon.








3 comments:

  1. Me gusta mucho tu edredón y has hecho un buen trabajo con la blusa. Muchos BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lovely quilt, I like the gentle colours. A bit of decluttering is always good, quite liberating. Have a great weekend when it comes

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your quilt. I spotted my trouser fabric on your cushion over at Minerva and the style of quilting would make a very cosy big quilt I thought. I finished a quilt too this week but haven't got around to putting it up on my blog yet as we are going away camping and like you, I am trying to focus on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...