Wednesday 11 January 2023

Stretch Sewing

 Hello everyone, what a rainy week we are having here in the UK. I hope you are well wherever you are and keeping safe I know our rain is nothing in comparsion to the weather conditions going on in other parts of the world, but being English I am preoocupied with the weather always. 

I am making quite a lot of French Terry projects at the moment so I though I would share some of that with you.  It has also given me a scrap busting idea as it is cotton and so soft I have decided to make some knickers with all the little offcuts from it.  Now I have only just decided this today so nothing to show as yet  but I know a lot of people like the Iris Pattern by Tilly and the Buttons, well I had a look and the price! Well I won't be buying it, for a pair of knickers, there are only a few bits to them.  So I am going to use my own as a pattern and work from there.  I have made some quite a while ago but I seem to remember the fabric wasn't quite right I am hoping this will work better.

Here is the fenix sweatshirt by style arc that I made on Monday...


It has side panels with topstitching and the pattern call for twin needle around arm holes and at cuff and bottom. I only chose to do the twin needle around the neck as it is so patterned I felt it would just get lost every where else.  There are also pockets into the side panel seams, I am wearing it today and it is very comfy.

Yesterday was another Style ARC make this time the Kristin dress, these colours are lovely and bright.  The sizing came out right on this dress although I did taper across sizes at the shoulder as I am small there.  


It was evening when I photographed this so it is a little dark. There are lots more to come and I have to say stretchy soft fabrics are the comfiest, not all are going to be made in my size so the manneqinn will be doing the modelling for me.  That said my mannequinn feels like she is about to fall apart if I size her up, the whole point is supposed to be you can adjust them but mine doesn't seem to like it.  I already had an incident once before where the whole top popped off that is why I have ribbon around the top now, it is hiding tape!

I am really enjoying reading the Lighthouse Witches, made even sweeter by having come from the library after I had picked it up in Waterstones before Christmas.  I may have mentioned that already in  my previous post but I love it when that happens. 

Tomorrow lunch is booked to take my mum out,  part of  this years aim to get her out more.  It won't be a weekly thing but I thought maybe once a month for lunch and also when the weather is fit maybe somewhere she can have a potter around markets or garden centres she has not been to, so that could be two outings a month.  Not too far for her  to walk though I will drive of course she is 84 but just a change of scene.

What have you all been up to so far this week, anybody doing anything exciting?

Take care everyone. 







4 comments:

  1. Great sweatshirts/dresses there. That Minerva exclusive fabric would be good for drafting out your knicker pattern but it might be too thick to actually wear day to day. I made a Linden from the cotton sweatshirt fabric and I love it. I have been using the Iris pattern for about three years now (since it came out??) but I use it for three of us so it has very much wiped its face cost wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, oh I see what you mean maybe the fabric is good to practice on then. I have seen your knicker makes and they are fabulous and yes lots of people say the pattern is very good. It must be the Yorkshire in me! 'How much?' Ha,ha. I do have other cotton jersey scraps that are thinner. I will try it out and see how they are. x

      Delete
  2. Dos prendas estupendas y de bonitos colores. Es muy buena idea pasear a tu madre 2 veces al mes, ella se pondrĂ¡ contenta. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colours on your dress. I have never sewn stretchy fabrics but would love to make some leggings and t-shirts they are something I want to try this year.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...