Thursday 6 October 2022

Autumn Musings

 Hello, there is a definite chill in the air now so I have been planning what I need to add to my wardrobe.  A lot of what I have made this year has been for the summer months mainly due to work that I have been doing.  Lots of gorgeous prints and so on but now is the time that I am looking for ways to extend the life of these clothes, or pack them away for next year. I do find that with lots of things I can add a cami underneath, a long sleeved t shirt and I am good to go, or maybe the base layer and a cardi over.  Some items though are just too summery to do that with so they have been rolled and placed in a lidded box, a sad sign to the end of summer!  

I have just planned another coat, my husband will say this is not required as my wardrobe is full but the fabric was gifted from a friend when she was destashing and the patterns I already have.  In a recent video that I made for youtube I gave a few options of what I might make with it, now it is just a case of making the fabric fit what I choose.

Another little crafty thing that I did recently was to upcyle an old picture frame into a mini notice board for my sewing room.  I wanted to keep some of my personalty to it so I didn't want to buy one same as everyone else and also I am always all for keeping costs down.  So I painted the gold frame white, removed the glass and also painted the board at the back of the picture white.  Now this his taked about four coats as the board just drinks up the paint, the paint I had already so no extra cost there.  When it was all dry I made mini bunting, added fabric samples, a tape measure, a little sewing image, a few threads and a holder for my current pattern.  I am really happy with how it turned out and I think it does the trick.  I had been requested to add some colour to my space and I am all for colour but for the last year I had been under the impression I had to keep things plain professional and white background.  It does look more inviting with some colour, I also have to watch for darkening the space too much as it is a small room and my phone is not an iphone so I do all I can to keep the light in there.  Here it is below...


For research purposes I have been looking at the background of others in the sewing community but a lot appear to be in a much bigger space than me so if I start adding shelves and lots of stuff to walls I may lose a lot of the light quality.  I have been looking at second hand iphones, after years of saying never, I did look at filming cameras but got a bit overwhelmed by it all. 

Do any of you follow Kate at The Last Homely House on you tube?  Well this week I watched a video of her taking down her granddaughters quilt from her board, it is English paper pieced and the colours are just out of this world.  If you are not familiar with her channel go and have a look as her quilting is so beautiful and really they are works of art.   It has me inspired to have a go, she has been making it for the last three years, this is inbetween all the other things she makes and in the last video she also made a couple of quilted cushions to go with it, this was to teach people how to finish the edges. 

Other news, I am currently enjoyng House of  the Dragon, the Game of Thrones spin off, I have also been watching Bad sisters.  I don't really watch an regular tv we just pick a series to watch together then watch one in the evening usually after nine. 

For the rest of this month we have a few things planned, a night out for a curry for a family birthday, a long weekend away in the caravan to North yorkshire (Near Leyburn)  a  trip to the theatre to see a Buddy Holly tribute night and I paln to see a few friends for lunch one day.  So a few things going on, I don't usually have a very full month socially and that looks pretty full for me. 

I have been reading The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood and it is just plodding along, so it has taken me longer than usual I am almost done.  Also read  The Penelopiad by her also dull, maybe I need to give her books a miss now? Also started After Alice but this is not grabbing me either, every now and then I  have a run of bad books and it makes you think this is why some people don't like reading, if they tried to get into it then made a few bad choices it would put them off carrying on.  Maybe I need to start and just bring home a reall random armful from the library and then just put them down if they are dull, my trouble is I try to carry on as I hate leaving them unfinished.

Yesterday I checked out a Sewing magazine from the inline library and it reminded me why I don't buy them.  I must have flicked through it in no time, lots of ads, space fillers and just afew articles.  Good that you have this option online to look at magazines though.

Well that is my bit of a ramble for today I will link my latest youtube video below just in  case you want to watch,  Have a good week.

                                                                        Find the video here





1 comment:

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...