Friday 2 September 2022

Vintage Sewing 1940's

 Hello, today I thought I would share this little set that I made a few weeks ago for work. It is such a cute make and at first I wasn't sure when I would wear this becuase of the style of it but last week when we ent on a bike ride it was just the thing.  The shorts are really comfortable while still being pretty and the top is made from the same fabric inside and out (self lined) so a nice make there.  I enjoyed making this and I also love the fabric, I have a dress in the same fabric and it is so  cheerful.  Now on the cover of the pattern the lady is wearing the top with nothing underneath, well I wasn't going to wear it like that riding around town, maybe on a beach holiday it would be more fitting.  So I layered it with a strappy top underneath and I think it worked really well.


One thing my husband noticed was that the top of my shorts were catching my back wheel every now and then, I didn't appear to be dusty or get caught at any point and I didn't feel like it was catching so maybe it was just an illusion of him riding behind me. If you didn't want to make the shorts the pattern also had the option to make a skirt, but I think the shorts give you the best of both as they are quite shapely and have these nice pleats around the top.  My matching trainers were not planned that is just the colour! 


Here is a clearer image indoors when I had just finished it...



So a bit about the pattern, it is a Simplicity pattern number 8654 and I think it is a good make for a beginner as the top has a really nice simple shape to it.  The skirt would also be a nice easy make, the pleats just take a bit of care and also you need to be able to insert a zip but if you were just starting out you could make the top and the shorts could be something to work towards.  I don't have many vintage patterns but the ones I do have always have such lovely shapes and fit, as I do like clothes with nice details and fit maybe I should be making more of these kinds of patterns.

This week I have made some fabulous little savoury/vegan GF scones in my mini oven, I was trying it out for baking seeing as how I intend to use it more.  They came out really well and I enjoyed as a sort of open top sandwich being as I don't eat bread.  I just did two large ones to try, a small amount of mixture and little energy used.  They were experimental.  The only downside is that they are great when just made but quickly go dry even in a airtight container  more negatives for the gf baking!

That's all for now, have a good weekend.











3 comments:

  1. I think it is a lovely set and I can not sew as you know and putting in a zipper sounds like a huge challenge, but you are a master and you look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful set. The top is like the sagura top.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

Me Made May 2024

 Hello everyone I hope you are all doing well I know it has been a while.  There are so many things that I haven't posted that I just do...