Sunday 14 August 2022

Making it up as I Go

Hello has it been hot enough for you in the UK? Currently have a fan on in the living room much as it pains me with the energy prices so high but the dogs are just panting away so it was a case of having to.  We are not having much luck with the garden it is in flower but I am having so many casualties despite trying to keep them watered.  I was looking at the plants while shopping in Asda earlier but thought no, they are just all withering and dying at the moment and they didn't look that well cared for to be honest.  I don't understand why they stock all those racks outside the supermarket with plants then not water them??

I have made a little off the cuff top yesterday and a video of the process, I had fabric left over from another project and had in mind  what I wanted to do so just made it up my way.


I have already made wide leg trousers in the fabric which I made to my mother in law's measurements, they have since been given to her.  I did model the trousers for a minerva post but had to hold them at the back as they were never intended for me;)   The video link is below if you are interested in how I made the top.

                                                                           Here is the link

I really need to give my wardrobe a good going through but as it has been so hot I really don't want to be in my bedroom not even at night, we have big bay windows and in the summer it is like sleeping in a greenhouse.  So as soon as it cools a little I will be sorting through that and either ebay, donate or refashioning the things I don't wear I find it hard as I make them to get rid of things, does anyone else have that? Time spent on making things makes you more attatched, so more often than not they will be unpicked and turned into something else.

In that frugal mindset, the  supermarket shop has turned into something of a personal game for me.  I am determined to still spend roughly the same as I always have despite the ridiculous increases in most things.  That is also the case if I need something extra, so today I saw some paint at £9 for a really big tub while I was shopping. The reason I bought this is my bathroom needs doing and I am just about out of white emusion.  I was being extra mindful then about what I bought so that the end cost still came in about right.  Don't worry we are well fed, I like to cook so I work around things. At one point I had some filled pasta which I put back as I thought I like my own pasta dishes, also a bottle of fevertree tonic water was returned to the shelf as I enjoy water from the fridge with lemon so I don't really need that.  I came in on target even with the paint! Result.  That may seem an odd game to you but it makes you be more creative with you have and buy. 

Well I hope you are all having a super week wherever you are, take care.



4 comments:

  1. Your garment sewing is always just so lovely - you are very clever with the items you sew. I have been reading about your hot summer in our news & it is forecast for us here when summer arrives, along with a drought. I do not enjoy the really hot summers any more & it is so hard on the garden & trying to keep everything alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie thank you. Yes I think you must think we are crazy in other countries going on about the heat but we are just not equiped for it, we don't have air conditioning in our homes and our bodies are just not used to it either. Much as I love a sunny day a break in the extreme heat will be much awaited so I can take my dogs out in safety. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We sometimes skip a week's shopping and I use up all the dry ingrediants in the cupboard - pasta, rice pilaffs, cakes and flatbreads from our flour, lentils to dahl curry etc. I think of it as a it is a little competition!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...