Thursday 18 November 2021

Sewing Morning

 Hello, I don't know if I mentioned this previously but I have dropped a day at work to give me more time for other things that I like to do.  Mainly that is sewing of course and while I am always sewing in my free time in recent moths I have not had chance to share everything I make or sew and sometimes things are becoming a rush.  I am certainly not a big spender being a maker so I made the decision to have more time as that is what is important to me right now. 

My time goes by so quickly when I am making too!  So there never seems to be enough of it and I do realise that this is because I am having so much fun. There are quite a few things that I have made for videos that I will share images in the future and I will be replenishing my handbag making over the next few weeks.  

Here is a little peek of a dress I made last week and this one is one is simplicity 8874AA in viscose jersey from Minerva I will add a link below if you want to check out the pattern and fabric.

Fabric here  and pattern here

I did treat myself to another  tripod light for my tiny sewing room last week as I was finding it increasingly difficult to get good light in the room to film with it being so much darker during the day now.  I always film in the daytime and I do already use a studio light but there is just no substitute for natural good daylight. My son does insist I need an iphone but to be honest after seeing the filming on his phone it is still a good light issue I feel and not a camera issue.  Well ok his camera is better then mine but my phone is good and I am not big on buying new gadgets when things are working well it is just so wasteful.  I guess my generation do  not have that urge to replace technology all the time like the younger ones, I will come clean and let you all know if I ever give in an upgrade!

Typically this morning after gleefully saying last night I will turn my alarm off as I don't need that I work up really early unable to sleep.  After a restless hour or so I got out of bed  and my son came down for work and said what are you doing up? Well of course because I don't need to be anywhere I am wide awake, why is it when we have to rush off to work we are sound asleep when the alarm sounds?

After complaining about my current book a few days ago 'The Beloved Girls' I am now enjoying it, I suppose I just had to gt into it properly and perhaps let go of what I thought it should be like.  It is ok to read something light occasionaly and just go with it.  

There has been a little Christmas making (I know sorry too early for all that) in the form of bunting, no pictures yet I need to pop it up to photograph.  It will be here so soon though and every year I think  it is too early to start meking this kind of thing and then suddenly it is upon us. I did read over on  Sum of their stories.com about making reusable fabric bags for Christmas presents and if you have not read that go and have  look now.  This was really funny becasue I have planning the same thing myself rooting through scraps this week and thinking how I can add a little trim here and there to make fabric more festive looking.  A few well placed felt holly applique pieces or snowflakes can jazz up an old remnant.
I also saw on facebook that people are using fabric from the charity shop to wrap presents creatively. 

 Fabric wrapping is a good idea and I hope that as more people do this the people receiving it do the same and do not just throw that in the bin.   I have been using some Chritsmas boxes for my boys since they were small, they have snowmen and Father Christmas on them.  Even now as grown men they will still get anything that will fit placed in those.  Last year my oldest opened his presents and as he doesn't live here now I said make sure you reuse the boxes Ha Ha. We have to keep it going don't we?  I also love gift bags that just fold flat and go in the cupboard, now if we are all careful there is no need for those to ever stop being circulated (well until they completely fall apart). 

Well I hope you enjoy the day whatever you are up to, back soon. 








2 comments:

  1. I saw a phrase "If your mum doesn't have a bag of gift bags, is she even your mum?" gosh it made me laugh. But I have to say mine is getting a bit low for none Christmas bags so am making little pump bag thingys for gifts with scraps at the moment. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to have an extra day for things you enjoy most. I must admit, I really can't stand Christmas wrapping... and I don't put much effort into it. I do have plenty of fabric scraps though so will use some of these this year. Maybe using fabric is more fun than old paper.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...