Sunday 23 August 2020

August...ing

 I thought I would do an 'ing' post as I am always stuck for a title, and it helps me sort my thoughts a little bit too.  I hope you are all having a lovely summer not that there is much of it left but lets grab a hold of the bit that is and make the most of it.   So here goes...

Riding my new bike, for the first time actually this morning.  My husband has been out on his quite a bit recently after converting it to an an e bike.  The problem from riding straight from our house to get any where was the hills coming back.  He has added this option just to use when you are shattered and need a boost getting up the hill.  It has worked for him as he can now go much further knowing that he can get back up many hills.  He wanted me to join him but I only normally do cycle paths, today was the first time for me on the actual road (with a bike that is, I do drive a car).  Sunday morning seemed a good idea to me and fortunately a lot of it was still cycle paths and canal paths.  We rode from out house to the city centre and around the canal paths there.  We did nineteen miles I know he would have done more without me but I enjoyed it.  It is now raining so we chose the best time.

So this above is Victoria Quays in Sheffield, quiet a few places where I was very close to the edge of the canal!

Listening to The Keeper of Lost Things, I am still undecided about listening to books in this way it is the voices that seem to annoy me.  Am I alone in that? Some of the narrators sound as if they are auditioning for Shakespeare and would you really read a book like that in your head, even with the non fiction books there seems to be too much emotion.  Well that aside the book is not bad.

Reading Those who leave and those Who stay by Elena Ferrante and  Wakenhyrst by Michelle Paver, the first is digital and the second is in actual book form from the library as our library is now open for orders. 

Making quite a few things over the last few weeks, this last week I have made a dress from the burda August edition in a lovely stretch cotton jersey from Minerva.  I had to make quite a few changes, it was quite loose and sack like in shape so I have added shape and removed the back vent as that would have made it quite baggy. 



That little purple flower button was in my stash and it is just the perfect match  think.  I have also made some little coin purses and listed these in my etsy shop. 





They each have a little pocket inside for cards or notes.


Watching a German series on netflix called Biohackers, I really enjoyed this but it was only six episodes long.  It has been left as to make another series but worth a watch if you are wondering what to watch next. 

Planting some winter pansies and Viola, I am hoping that we will get a bit of colour from these in the winter months. I have some more lettuce on the go and Basil and my giant tomatoes are just starting to red.

Enjoying my last days of the summer holiday, I am really never bored and can never understand when people say they don't know what to do with themselves when they are  not at work.  

That is all for now, take care everyone. 

 

 

10 comments:

  1. One audio book that I did enjoy is Brixton Hill- its BBC4 on their audio books site. I found it quite gripping, and the readers very believable in their roles. It was my first audio book, and since that I have not found one I've managed to stick with. I always enjoy your web site and your sewing. I don't sew, but I do knit. jean/winnipeg

    ReplyDelete
  2. How strange I have just made some coin purses for my grandaughters for a stocking filler. Loved the fabric you chose, I used some tweed that had been loitering in the scrap bin for awhile. How nice to be out and about on your bike not sure I could ride one these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember cycling around Sheffield when I was a student there back in the 90s. It didn't matter where you went you always seem to be cycling up hill and into the wind! Not sure I could do it now.

    I loved the Keeper of Lost Things but I read it as a book rather than listening to it.

    Your dress is lovely, I love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!! I'm here to see what you've been up to while I was away! You've been sewing up a storm I see! What I'm interested in though is your ebike....Ive been wondering if perhaps we need a couple of bikes to get around when we eventually start travelling in the bus. I'm not a bike rider at all, although I can ride a nice sedate one with a comfy seat and a basket ;) and I hadn't thought of an ebike but will mention it to The Man and see what he has to say!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband bought regular bikes and adapted them as the e bikes are so expensive, you buy the kit and have to change a wheel, then he bought the batteries separate. It works out much better that way, you have a little screen and you just press to switch it on if you are on a tough hill and there are different levels of assistance 1.2.3 etc. You still have to pedal for it to work but it assists you up hills, then just turn off when you are ok. I would imagine these are great for people who might normally struggle on a bike as you could leave it on all the time if you wish. Good luck. x

      Delete
  5. 19 miles is really amazing! Good for you and wonderful dress I might add. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandma used to say only boring people get bored! I have lived my life by it. You have been busy and you are right, the ing post certainly gives a varied frame for a blog post. Yay! I have the internet again so I have put up some pics of our new home now that we have moved in, you might like...
    https://joeveryday19.blogspot.com/2020/09/current-best-bits.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some lovely makes this month. Love your fabric choices for your bags.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lovely dress and pouches! we certainly learn a lot during the pandemic.Luckily I sew too, so I can always escape to my sewing world :D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Un vestido precioso. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...