Monday 30 September 2019

GF Baking

Over the past week I have been making a few cakes, I have not really done much baking in recent months and it is probably because I just got used to not having cake.  This was in part because of me being gluten free and things never being quite the same, there is also the fact that I am vegan so that is a bit of a double wammy with baking.  Anyway I mastered the perfect free from scone over the summer and have started to make a few bits now.  As the dark nights are coming I probably need the comfort food too.

I made two banana and dark  chocolate loaves and this is a favourite and something I know everyone will eat.  The bananas give you a bit of security in the GF baking area as you know they will add moisture.  Then on Saturday I tried the Maple and Pistachio cake, again another success both from the same book.  I have tried things from this book in the past and they all come out well so I think I will try some of the more unusual recipes next.

There is almost a full bag of pistachios in there which all needed shelling first, so not exactly a budget cake but at least you know it is nutritious and better your fat comes from nuts than dairy.

The book in the middle is the one with the reliable baking recipes, I have also been going back through this 'Cook ,Share Eat Vegan and planning a few new things  for this week.  I made the rest pesto risotto at the weekend and that was gorgeous, I have bookmarked the walnut kofta and an aubergine dish for later in the week.  I am also currently reading 'The Organised Mind' and 'The Corset' it's good to have a mixture of reading on the go.

My next make is all cut out, I have been in no hurry to make it up though however  I must get on with in the next few days.  I think my feeling has to do with there being plenty of clothes to wear already, I love the making part of it but I| don't want to just add for the sake of it.  I need to think of ways to create that are useful and sustainable. I always keep my eyes open for items to reuse the fabric from in charity shops and recently got two garments for a £1 that will be saved for future projects.
On the sewing table
The cooler months may see me trying my hand at crochet again this year, last year I ended up making fingerless gloves for all family members!  I have seen some gorgeous shawls but then I am not really much of a shawl wearer, ideas please??

We had a long walk at the weekend which resulted in the dogs all needing a bath, we were not going to be put off by the rain but ended up very muddy.  The dogs were rushed upstairs one at a time for a bath and I think they quite enjoyed it after being out in the rain.  One of them always rushes about the house in a mad fit after and I am not sure if that is excitement or some kind of protest. 

The lovely thing about the rain was the double rainbow that followed, I only managed to capture a single one in my image.

2 comments:

  1. All our fur babies go a bit mad after a bath. Maybe it's a bit of water in the ears and they rub their ears on the carpet and roll around. Your baking looks wonderful. Best, Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake looks delicious. I've only tried a couple of gluten free baking recipes and they've been a bit of a disaster. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...