Sunday 13 October 2019

Oddments Top

A little while ago the lovely Jo from Three stories High sent me some offcuts of fabric that she was clearing out for my bag making.  When they arrived I was looking at how they sat together in the bundle and thought I would like to make a top with them if possible and still save little bits for bags.  That idea has sat around in my head for a few weeks and today I got on with it.

The idea being that I would use some of the denim for the side panels and the white and black print for the centre.  I also wanted to use one of the floral fabrics for neck facing and a pocket.  I got the pieces cut out and then I wasn't sure I had picked the right fabric for the pocket.

I stared at it  for a while and then decided to use the other floral that was in the pack, a little darker but still with the right colours.  To be honest I think either would have worked but I had to make a decision.
I am really happy with it and I know i will wear it a lot, I used an existing t-shirt to cut around and just placed the fabrics underneath.  To make the facing show on the outside I simply stitched it the opposite way then topstitched it to the outside.
Now that I have the facing and pocket cut in the other colourway I may have to do another patch top using some of my other pieces.   I made  one similar to this in jerseys earlier in the year and that one is worn often with jeans.
A bag will follow at a later date Jo! This was quite early afternoon and the light was already fading as it has been such a gloomy day.

I did manage to snap a couple of images in the garden of things that made me smile this week, a few lovely flowers that are still coming into bloom this late on.  They are from a mixed  pack of seeds I planted earlier in the year they seen to have taken ages to come up but now they are adding colour as everything else is fading.
They are planted in the planter stand my husband made for me last year so they are up off the ground.
What a colour!  Just what you need after lots of rain, it is just sat there surrounded by dead leaves this one.
I will definitely buy more of the mixed seeds for next year as it is such a nice surprise when they come up and you are not quite sure what to expect.
Also we are still getting cherry tomatoes from the green house, they just keep coming.

Well  I hope you are all having a lovely week, back soon. 

4 comments:

  1. Can I tell you that I am in awe of your sewing abilities and have to confess I can't sew a straight line. I wish I could and I have tried but it isn't my thing. So I will live through your blog and your beautiful sewing creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A brilliant top, I love that it is made from offcuts, it's cleverly done. Your garden is very pretty, and the tomatoes are looking good. Mine are on their last legs after all the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This top is so creative and on trend! I bet the jersey one looked fab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't believe you made a top, it looks great. I have had those fabrics for a while and just couldn't shoe horn them in anywhere! Jo x

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...