Saturday 4 August 2018

Days Out

We chose not to book a week away this summer holiday as we always fall unlucky with the weather. I know it has been glorious for weeks but oddly enough the week my husband booked off then cancelled, which was this past week, the weather has been raining in the lakes and that is where we were going to go!  He still retained a couple of days off and spread the rest out so we have had a couple of day trips out, I am wondering if this might always be a better idea as we travel about when we go away anyhow.  Not saying I never want to go away but you know good value to use your own home as a base rather than pay to stay in another home.  
 Thursday we went out on our bikes we have been doing this each week since I got mine four weeks ago.  We went on the cycle path from Wortley to Dunford bridge it is ten miles so a twenty mile round trip and I have to say my legs were a bit wobbly when I got back.  A nice day for this as it wasn't too hot and we managed to take a few pics along the way.
It is an old railway line as many of these paths are so you go through a tunnel which can be a welcome cool down.
Lots of lovely scenery along the way.
Some quirky things to see too!
These little fairy doors were everywhere, at least that's what I think they are and also sculptures here and there.
When you get to the car park at Dunford bridge there is this piece of art that was created to celebrate the Tour de Yorkshire.

Yesterday we chose to go to Bakewell for a walk around, it was much better than the last time we went as it was a weekday, weekends can be very busy there.   We parked at the top of a hill away from the main bit to get free parking we always do this when we go anywhere.  I don't understand why people pay a premium to park in the centre when they are able bodied.  If you are going to be walking around for the day anyway why not walk a bit further to your car?
We had some chips while watching the ducks.
These images are the walk down from the car, park in the centre and you miss this.

We also stopped and had a drink here...
In other news I am still getting bits from the greenhouse and garden, it's not a huge amount but it is good to know we grew it ourselves.
I also have a beetroot from my mother in-law's garden so I   will be making something with that later. I can't say it is something I have ever used much of but if she has a surplus of them I will be investigating ways to use them up. 







 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a couple of wonderful days out with stunning views. I did enjoy some of the quirky sights along the way. The fairy doors were a delight. Please share what you do with the beetroot, I have a tendency just to pickle it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...