Friday 29 June 2018

Sewing Scuba

On the sewing table today are the pieces for a dress for a  Minerva post, it will be a shift style dress in scuba fabric.  I can honestly say I have not worked with this before, it is quite thick and my dress makers scissors even seamed to be having trouble cutting through it on the double.  I have a feeling someone has used them for a non fabric project when I wasn't looking.  The pieces are all cut but on the pattern there are patch pockets at the front, I am undecided if they will go on as the fabric has a lovely rose design and I don't think they will add anything to the dress.  Maybe on a plain dress they would be better anyway I am rambling here are the pieces ready to go...

I have to admit to already altering the sides a little as they felt a bit too A-line for my liking on this fabric, it seems to me this lends itself to more fitting dresses.  I have been out with a friend this afternoon so everything has been put ready to go on the sewing table for the morning.  I don't think this it will take long to sew I am just wondering how it will respond under the machine given the resistance it put up under my scissors.  Last week I read that someone had tried to overlock  scuba fabric and it had got a bit chewed up in the machine.

There will probably be no need for overlocking as the fabric does not appear the have much fray so I will just give that a miss, hopefully a ball point needle is all that is required but any other tips on how it behaves would be appreciated. Also there is a reasonable size piece left, has anyone had a go at making a bra in this, it is not breathable for other undies but would it do a bra?  If you  have tried that let me know and if it worked I hate to see any bits of fabric go to waste.

I am in the middle of another Spanish drama 'Apaches' so I am off to watch that now, I loved Money Heist and now I'm on the lookout for what to watch next.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...