Saturday 9 June 2018

Fabric Shopping

Yesterday while I was out doing the food shopping I decided to visit a craft shop I had heard of near me.  The reason I haven't been before is that I thought it was mainly for classes as the website advertises these and only shows a few bolts of fabric.  I went in mainly to get some trim for the shorts I was making but I was pleasantly surprised at the selection of fabrics, the website doesn't do it justice.  So I was in there rather longer than I intended and I came out with two pieces of fabric, lace, elastic and some interfacing, oh and a loyalty card. The fabrics are mainly craft cottons which I don't mind as I like to make clothes with those, they had just a small selection of other dress fabrics and I spotted some lovely jersey there.


The colourful one on top is the jersey, some craft cotton under that and then when I arrived back from the shops my Minerva crafts fabric had arrived, that is the one in the bag underneath.  I will share on the Minerva fabric another time as that is going to be a post for them.  Getting back to the jersey, that is going to be a dress of course and it is cut out ready at the moment.
Nice simple shape, scoop neck, short sleeves and pleats.  There will not be time for finished photos today but I want to wear it tomorrow as we are out for lunch so I will post more on that then.

I love the colours in this fabric it is so bright, when I first started sewing I always used to go to a stall at the market to buy fabric.  Whenever they had new bright prints in and I used to choose them the lady stall holder used to say 'I knew you would buy that one'.  Maybe I haven't changed much, I am trying to add some solids to my wardrobe so I can mix and match more but these prints just jump out at me.

We were out most of the day and I also had a look in the charity shops to see if there any vintage patterns or any patterns going.  I would quite like to join in some of the vintage make groups that people start.  If anyone has any ideas where these can be obtained at a reasonable price let me know.
(I do mean actual vintage patterns not the reproduction ones that cost an arm and a leg!)


5 comments:

  1. Nice fabric. I buy my vintage patterns from junk shops and antique shops. I also have a few minutes browsing ebay where I buy lots. Sometimes the asking prices are ridiculous but sometimes they are just 99p. I have had some corking ones. jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo I will have another look on ebay, I looked the other day but they were quite pricey, I suppose you have to keep looking. x

      Delete
  2. I love the bright bold patterns too, they seem to jump out at me. I have collected vintage patterns for years charity shops, car boot sales, vintage sales and e bay are all good sources.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Car boot sales is an idea thank you, I've not really been to many of those. x

      Delete
  3. Oh that looks lovely! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...